Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Just tried to do an upgrade using CRUCIAL MEMORY 2G DDR3-1066 UNBUFFERED NON-EC CT25664BC1067 204-PIN SODIMM. They told me it was guaranteed compatible. Sure sure. The unibody was intermittently crapping out waking from sleep. Seems like ram compatibility issues are still plaguing the new Macbook. Hey, maybe you have some Crucial and it's working, but there's plenty of people who have had it crap out the unibody. I'd avoid it. In fact, unless you really need the extra ram to run windows in virtual mode, I'd avoid the whole mess and stick with what ya got, unless you like hassles.

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Two things

1. Crucial guarantee the RAM if you pick it using their RAM finder. So if it's not working you are covered.

2. A lot of people, myself included have used crucial ram on their unibody'd mac with no issues at all.

Sareth

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
I think saying *avoid Crucial* is unfair, people have had problems with all brands of ram and the unibody macbooks, this thread title seems unnecessarily dramatic.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
The only reason to not buy from Crucial is their slow shipping times. Just keep working with their customer support until you get working RAM.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
The only reason to not buy from Crucial is their slow shipping times. Just keep working with their customer support until you get working RAM.

...I'm stationed in Japan and they get the items I order here in less than a week usually...if other vendors even ship to military addresses it most always takes double the time to ship...

DPB17

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Ireland, unfortunately.

I got my RAM from them in one day from GErmany to Ireland and all I had to pay was €5 for postage. BTW I was having problems with RAM I got from OWC but I have had no problems with the Crucial sticks. I don't think it's fair to say avoid crucial memory. I had problems with OWC but never said to avoid them as nearly nobody else had any other problems with them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never had a problem with crucial ram, and while I may not have any crucial ram in my current machine, I'd really be surprised to see problems with them. Stranger things have happened but I consider OWC and crucial for all my ram needs. Both offer high quality products at a decent price and superior support.

Did you contact them, perhaps you have a defect module, I'd say that's more like the case then crucial producing ram that's incompatible to the unibody MBPs

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
Great... i just ordered mine. I hope they work for me, lol.

Plus, people will never talk about good experience, only bad so we never really hear from those who have good ram.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
if you say a lot of people are having problems with crucial RAM, you have to look at the sample size. I bet more people use Crucial than any other vendor. And, like was mentioned already, you don't take in to account all the happy customers, like me.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Installed a 4GB Crucial kit 2 weeks ago in my unibody MB and no problems what so ever. Never had a problem with Crucial RAM.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
i ordered crucial ram for my unibody macbook and it is working flawless, i ordered a saturday and it came on tuesday from Boise to Switzerland.

The only complaint i have is the hidden fed ex fee bill i just received of 20$ even tho i paid 20$ by credit card on ordering..

it can't be the tax of switzerland as it wouldn't be that much...

SHIFTLife

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
There's nothing wrong with Crucial RAM in the Unibody MacBooks, if you order the correct parts. Use their Memory Finder, and then order it from Newegg.

It's unfair to both Crucial and to other users for you to make a blanket statement saying avoid their memory altogether. Just because you had a problem, doesn't make their entire line of memory bad.

Chances are you ordered the incorrect part or got a bad module or two. If you ordered the correct part, call them or the vendor you purchased it through and give them a chance to make it right. Don't let the money you spent on the memory go to waste by junking the modules. :)

jbrenn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I have been using crucial ram in my unibody macbook since early december. I have had no problems with it at all. You might have got a bad chip. Did you try to swap the position of the chips to see if that makes a difference.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't make a blanket statement like the title of this thread. I bought 4 GB of RAM from Crucial for my unibody MacBook and have had no problems with it whatsoever. You could have just gotten a bad set and should exchange it.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
While I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that either, I would certainly advise against Crucial or any 3rd party ram for the AluBooks. I personally had issues with Crucial ram and my MB, which Crucial refunded me for, so I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

UnderLoK

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2009
Detroit (not IN it)
Just tried to do an upgrade using CRUCIAL MEMORY 2G DDR3-1066 UNBUFFERED NON-EC CT25664BC1067 204-PIN SODIMM. They told me it was guaranteed compatible. Sure sure. The unibody was intermittently crapping out waking from sleep. Seems like ram compatibility issues are still plaguing the new Macbook. Hey, maybe you have some Crucial and it's working, but there's plenty of people who have had it crap out the unibody. I'd avoid it. In fact, unless you really need the extra ram to run windows in virtual mode, I'd avoid the whole mess and stick with what ya got, unless you like hassles.

More than likely you received some bum ram or you shocked it. Either way, you take it out, put the old back in, return it, and try again.

It's not that big of a deal, defects and or mistakes do happen.

Oh and for the record... The "plenty of people" that I have seen, don't even know what speed their ram is which should tip you off that Crucial is more than likely the least of their problems (not saying that's you, just saying).

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
...I'm stationed in Japan and they get the items I order here in less than a week usually...if other vendors even ship to military addresses it most always takes double the time to ship...
For free shipping, it took a week to prepare for shipping and then another week for the shipment itself. Living on a military base in New York.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
Just gonna throw this out there. I have used OWC for every mac I have ever upgraded, unibody macbook included. Never had problems with any of it. I would feel fine ordering from Crucial or OWC as they both will keep working with you until things are right.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
As I said in my original post, you may have had luck with Crucial ram yourself, but if you do a bit of a search on line you will find plenty of compatibility issues with the new MB and Crucial sticks. In my case, the MB ran great, but I had that intermittent black screen when trying to wake the MB from sleep. So, if you rarely put your MB to sleep, you might not even know that your ram is incompatible. I didn't mean to imply that Crucial was the only brand that is still showing incompatibilities with MB, many ram brands still are showing problems. So beware. Crucial stands behind their product. I picked sticks guaranteed compatible with the new MB, and they were not. These are not "defective" chips; they are incompatible ones. If you are buying ram be absolutely certain you are buying from someone you can return it to, and test it for a couple of weeks, especially waking from sleep before you can be certain the chips you have are actually 100% compatible. Personally I'm surprised we are still seeing incompatibilities especially with a big "reliable" brand like Crucial. There's frankly no excuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.