Avoid Having MacBook Sent Off for Repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman14, May 28, 2013.

1. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I have a two month old MacBook Pro Retina (13") that is having issues with the LCD turning a purple/greenish tint quite often, lasts for about 20 minutes and goes away. Apple said I could send it in and get the LCD replaced..

My problem is this is my ONLY laptop and functions as a work, school, and personal computer. I really can't go without my computer for a week, as it is essential to my work.

Is there really any other option to avoid being sent off for a week to be fixed?

2. racer1441 macrumors 68000

3. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

While that is an option, I shouldn't have to live with a faulty LCD on a $2000 practically new laptop.

Would you be okay with it if you spent $2000 on a laptop?

4. BradClarke macrumors member

Several people have has issues like this so Apple is aware of it. If I were you try to call AppleCare and explain tot hem this should not be happening to a laptop thats only XX days old, try to convey to them you want a new unit to replace this one. Have them tranfer all your data over thunderbolt too. They may send you to the apple store to have this done, or even better attempt to back all your data up at home as this will just be a 5 min swa pout then.

If this fails, ask to speak to the store manager, they have the power to replace a machine this young. Be very polite, but stress how its your computer for work and school, and how this is a defect of the product.

The reality of it is, is if apple returns your Macbook they just send it off for repairs and it gets sold as a refurb so there not really losing any money.

5. racer1441 macrumors 68000

No, I'd just man up and send it back. Live with the inconvenience for a few days, and move on.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You walk it into a store and have it swapped. These days it truly baffles me when someone says they cannot be without a computer for a few days and does absolutely nothing to ensure they have some kind of backup. Even a $300 windows laptop would suffice for a few days if need be.

7. oLNutjob macrumors member

oLNutjob

If you can swing a retina book.....

you can surely afford an old white "beater book," that has easy swap drives & is able to run a semi-current OS.

(Always have a spare as a backup.)

8. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

This is why you should really keep old laptops or have a desktop handy. Even an ipad would tide you over if you weren't wanting to do anything heavy.

9. Lyshen macrumors 6502

In regards to having the actual unit exchanged for a new one, it depends where you purchased it from. If from Apple, there is that possibility. If from some non Apple store, highly unlikely they'll exchange the unit.

Repair wise, there's in store repair and mail in, sounds like they do mail ins... I think there's an option for having it shipped back directly to you.