Avoid kids purchasing stuff in apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by uumart, Mar 14, 2013.

1. uumart macrumors newbie

go to settings – general – restrictions - turn off “in-app purchases”

also, settings – general –restrictions – turn off "installing apps", App Store will disappear, then your kids can’t purchase anything, LOL.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You can also set it to require a password immediately. That should force a password request for in-app purchases.

Be aware that most apps that allow freebie downloads in-app won't ask for permission or a password (because it's free). That can be disconcerting if you discover your toddler has downloaded free stuff in-app.

3. uumart thread starter macrumors newbie

that will do,too

4. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

I had to do this after I found a $58.00 purchase through the My Little Pony game. They took care of it for me but I changed settings so it won't happen again.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ouch!

My daughter is four so I try to lock it down as much as I can without cutting her off alltogether. Now that I think about it, logging out of the iTunes store might be a good idea too.

6. iMas70 macrumors 6502a

They make it so easy for kids to buy things if you don't have restrictions set up. Almost like the developers want it to happen.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wellll…it's like getting a speeding ticket. Most people won't contest it, figure it's their fault, suck it up and pay the bill.

On the other hand though, you have iPhone owners who don't have kids and are upset at Apple for making it so difficult to simply download an app. So, Apple has to balance the two.

Honestly, though it's in our hands as parents to police our children and ultimately be aware of what it is they are doing. That can be difficult at the very least though. But we can mitigate things. The device my daughter has access to (iPhone 3GS) is a WiFi only device and only leaves the house in my hands or if my daughter or son is with me. Because of that I can lock it down as far as I need because nobody else uses it for anything. My iPhone 5 is also somewhat locked down, but more in defense against thieves. I also would not hand my iPhone 5 to my daughter.

Thankfully Apple does give us some recourse.