Avoid reinstalling cydia packages and app store apps on restore or update?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by sch11, Dec 21, 2010.

1. sch11 macrumors member

Is there any way to avoid reinstalling cydia packages and app store apps after restoring using iTunes or updating to a new OS?

I have many apps installed and many cydia packages, all of which were painstakingly configured. If I install something that forces a restore, or if I later choose to update OSs, I don't want to spend 30 hours on reconfiguration. Is there any way to avoid it? E.g., to prevent the reconfiguration on restore issue, can you create an "image" of your device's disk and restore that after using the iTunes restore feature (like Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage for PCs).

If there's no way to do this, what's the best way of backing up application data (for both cydia and app store apps)? Is there any solution that works for all app store apps?

2. lanulos macrumors regular

I don't think there's any way to restore or upgrade without the Cydia stuff going away. However, there is a Cydia app called PkgBackup which is supposed to be able backup your Cydia apps and layout and reinstall them after restore/upgrade. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to the next time I upgrade. The catch is it costs $5.