Avoid Speck SmartCase! Literally chipped off my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevAndy, Aug 4, 2014.

1. DevAndy macrumors member

DevAndy

I bought the black Speck Smartcase from the Apple store 3 weeks ago for $50. Yesterday, I took it off and noticed the top case aluminum has literally chipped off.

It's the kind of chip you would find banging a macbook against a hard wall... except I didn't do that.

I too, was willing to give Speck a chance despite the bad reviews, and didn't believe the "scratch" problems others were having. To be fair, I never noticed any scratches when taking the case off.

Just a big chip off the aluminum is all.

2. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

lol this sounds so sarcastic , but yea incase is the way to go plus you can get the clear ones for $17

3. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Moshi please people.

1. You bumped the MPB on something without knowing some time ago.
    2. You stuffed it in your backpack with books, water bottle, other large heavy objects, causing great pressure squeezing all over the MBP.
    3. You did not sand down smooth all of the edges of the case before applying.
    4. You did not thoroughly clean the MBP's surfaces before putting on the cover.
    5. Your MPB already had a defect in that area and the removal of the case was what was needed to complete the act.

4. sneak3 macrumors 6502

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have to modify a product as an end user to get it work properly, it's a defective product.

6. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Thats interesting, I did have a Speck See Thru Scratch my MacBook

7. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

There are many stories regarding bad quality of these cases. I believe OP.
    My friend had Incase one and it simply fell apart within few months.

I'd buy none of those. Just take care of your notebook and if you get some huge scratch, maybe put sticker there?

8. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

Thank you, I got a reply from Speck support stating that the "huge chip" was because of small debris that was there when I put on the case.

Well, I was abundantly cautious when putting on the case, and no "small debris" should fall in a $50 case and cause such a heavy damage.

Does anyone else think the proper resolution for this is a refund, not a replacement?

9. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

Sounds like OP is just trying to get Speck to buy him a new computer. There's no way that a piece of cheap plastic like what is used in Speck cases could take out a chunk of aluminum. I've been using a Speck case on my 17" MacBook Pro for two years now and no damage has been dealt to my computer. As a matter of fact, the only thing that has happened is two of the little plastic clips on the case itself broke.

10. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I would have to agree, plastic would not be capable of actually chipping anodized aluminum. Scratch or dent if enough force is applied sure.

We need pictures for this ghostly claim.

11. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

I've asked whether the proper resolution was a refund of $50, so I don't know why you'd mention a computer replacement.