Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
AnandTech does their usual excellent analysis and has shown that in certain circumstances the slowest Core M can outperform the one with the highest speed rating. It all comes down to cooling.

http://www.anandtech.com/print/9117/analyzing-intel-core-m-performance

Given this, since the MacBook doesn't have a fan (unlike the Lenovo using the 5Y71) might we be better off with the base model? Hopefully AnandTech does an update with the MacBook models included after it is out.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I really don't know the answer, but I remember that in some other thread someone who was familiar with Core M offered a similar opinion, so I don't think the question is crazy - even though it might seem crazy if we were talking about the Core series.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I hope we get an answer by Friday because I want to order it ASAP and returning it might be a bit of a hassle.

Apple Watch reviews have been coming out so I wonder when the rMB reviews will come out and whether they will compare the different CPU speeds.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I hope we get an answer by Friday because I want to order it ASAP and returning it might be a bit of a hassle.

Apple Watch reviews have been coming out so I wonder when the rMB reviews will come out and whether they will compare the different CPU speeds.

Saw that and made a quick circuit - negative results so far!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
CPU upgrade is just a money trap for overall lower sustained performance.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
AnandTech does their usual excellent analysis and has shown that in certain circumstances the slowest Core M can outperform the one with the highest speed rating. It all comes down to cooling.

http://www.anandtech.com/print/9117/analyzing-intel-core-m-performance

Given this, since the MacBook doesn't have a fan (unlike the Lenovo using the 5Y71) might we be better off with the base model? Hopefully AnandTech does an update with the MacBook models included after it is out.

The Core M 5Y31 used in the base model is said to be similar to the Core i5 4200U while the 5Y71 used in the high end MB is similar to the Core i7 4500U. Thats a considerable difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.