Avoid the Hypershop 5-1 USB-C hub

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spaceballl, Jan 12, 2016.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I bought the Hypershop USB-C hub, as my wife needs to be able to plug USB devices into her computer while charging, and I wanted something with more ports than the Apple adapter.

Don't get it.

First of all, it runs hot. I wouldn't say it was burning-my-finger-hot, but it was hotter than warm. That's never a great sign, especially when it was only being used to power the device - no USB peripherals attached.

Second, it doesn't really work that well. It woudl charge. The not. Then charge. Then not. The charging noise kept coming and going like a digital flicker. I couldn't get it stable.

It's possible that I got a lemon, but based on my experience, I would say that you should avoid this hub. What else is available now that allows pass through charging?

2. DragonPrime120 macrumors newbie

DragonPrime120

The best adapter/hub in my opinion is the Satechi 3-1 USB-C hub, and it recently got updated with USB-C charging as a pass through. There are two versions, one with three USB 3.0 ports, and one with 2, with the 3rd being replaced by the charger.

3. Tillo macrumors newbie

Tillo

Yes Satechi is a good product, but it miss the network port that is included in the new Minix Neo-C.
    There is also the charging port.
    I'm waiting the avilability of the Minix that was presented the last september.

4. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

i bought one, it feels VERY flimsy. Missing HDMI, still not perfect but probably the best one that is actually available to ship at the moment.

5. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I just received the updated Satechi hub with the pass through charging and am not a fan. It feels really unstable plugged into the rMB, and getting SD cards and USB cables in and out makes it feel even less secure.

I'm going to go back to using the basic Apple USB-C to USB adapter until something better comes along.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah I got one too. It is a POS. Super flimsy, USB/SD cards don't go all the way in. I feel like it needs a magnet or something so that it sits flush with the body of MB.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

It's not a lemon. It's just that most of these cheap "USB-C" hubs just took existing USB 3.0 hubs and attached USB-C connectors to them. They can't both pass through a charge and provide greater than USB 2.0 speeds since they don't conform to the Power Delivery 2.0 standards that is part of the port on the MacBook.

Unfortunately, the best options tend to be the most expensive. The Apple Docks, or the new OWC docks look like the best bets if you need pass-through charging.

8. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

9. CVC macrumors member