AVOID this cheap Apple Watch Stand.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Borjan, May 18, 2015.

1. Borjan macrumors regular

Hey there.

I ordered this cheap stand off Amazon UK, didn't want anything overly fancy so decided to get it for less than £10...

Apple Watch Stand

Mistake.

Poorly designed, the cable doesn't stay in the groove and neither does the charging disk stay in the circular cut out. Very poor. Returning for a refund and advising others to stay away from this and no doubt other cheap stands that look the same.

I've just ordered a 3D printer, so I'll design and make myself one when it arrives...

2. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

3. Borjan thread starter macrumors regular

I've attached some photos to show you. First is it with everything as securely fit as possible. Next is with the watch on (I don't think it sits flush either), then removed straight afterwards.

Sorry that I didn't get this post up sooner for the above poster!

Attached Files:

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah that's pretty bad. If you wanted a cheap stand why didn't you just go with the Spigen? It looks great and is very good quality.

5. cliegal macrumors member

Many of the Amazon reviews aren't even for the stand. They're discussing phone cases. Definitely wouldn't get this one. Thank you for letting us know.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I have the wood version of that from eBay and its a lot better than that.

7. optoms macrumors newbie

I have two exact same stand but in different colours. I have to admit the wire doesnt sit in the groove but a small scotch tape will solve the issue. Anyway for £8, i think it still pretty value for money.

8. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

Yeah just got mine. It's dreadful. Will definitely be going back

9. skintz macrumors newbie

I have this in black. It's fine for being $7 and shipped quick. The charger stays in mine snugly, the cord does not - as displayed. I put some black glossy vinyl over the cord and I'm happy with it. It stands upright and is nice and small.

I'd say if you have low expectations you should be fine, otherwise you'll be unhappy.

10. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I have one in black. I had to fiddle a bit to get my cord to stick in the grooves, but once I did it has stayed just fine. I'm fine with it for 8.99 shipped and asan interim until I find exactly the stand I want. You can get it cheaper than I did but I wanted one already in the US.

11. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

12. conshok26 macrumors 6502

conshok26

I have the wood one too and I agree it's much better than the plastic one seems. A much cheaper alternative to the dodocase stand.

13. jediuia macrumors regular

It's only $15, throw it in the trash. Or send it back, Amazon is great at returns. Just tell them it sucks, they don't care about the reason.

14. Borjan thread starter macrumors regular

This one would have arrived a few days earlier... So it was my impatience that made me get this one!

This is exactly what duped me. I just looked for ones with a high rating and went with that, but didn't check carefully... IF you read the actual review for the stands, they are pretty much all negative with low star ratings.

Well, this amount of money won't affect my life at all, but I'm not just going to throw money away for no reason! As stated I have actioned a refund, but I more feel that others should be warned. It's not right to sell such a product in my mind.

15. clint-bell macrumors regular

Looks like the holder for the charger is slightly not designed with the correct dimensions. Knew these stands with the holder for the charger being at the top would all have this problem.

Prefer the ones where it slots in from underneath and is prevented from going any higher.

16. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

I decided to make do with the stand. Once on my bedside table it didn't make much difference that the cable didn't fit snugly. I put it on to charge last night and it seems it didn't charge properly! Got the 10% notification at 9am today. Din't know what happened it looked like it was sitting on there fine.

17. Kemah macrumors newbie

I did not know until I read another post today that there are different chargers for the sport and the Watch. I guess the sport is plastic and the watch is SS. Maybe the Edition is gold. Anyways I wonder if the two adapters are a little different in size? Would not account for the cord not fitting though.

18. dokindo macrumors regular

Bought this from Amazon US.

Same negative experience

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Different material- plastic vs stainless- for the charging disc but exact same dimensions.

20. RayDonovan macrumors regular

RayDonovan

I bought one of these myself. It arrived yesterday. It's a piece of junk.

The charger doesn't fit properly in the cutout and it literally fell apart when i tried to push it in. (An awesome feeling when you've waited weeks for it to arrive and it falls apart in less than 30 seconds).

Its a piece of crap. DO NOT BUY THIS.

21. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Charging Cable differences?

Interesting question . . .
    I have the Sports model and just picked up an extra charging cable recently.
    I haven't opened the box yet but, now, wondering how or if it's different than the cable that came with my watch. There is nothing on the box that would indicate any particular model and the rep at the Apple Store said that it was the same cable that came with my Apple Watch. Cmmmmmm :confused:

22. matthijst macrumors regular

Bought this one as well. Charging disc didn't fit.
    Used a dremel to widen the gap and works great now.

23. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

I agree. I received it on Tuesday and it's going back today.
    Worst product ever. I made sure it was amazon prime so I could return easily. I purchased a Spigen one instead and will get it today.

24. popmonkey macrumors newbie

popmonkey

I've been contacted by the seller today. They said:

It was in a usual Amazon "Feedback request" email, so I almost missed it. I'm certainly going to take them up on the office as I'd prefer one that actually fits.

25. ifarlow macrumors regular

ifarlow

That's not correct. The sport charger is 1.5mm thicker than the stainless charger and stand manufacturers have had to take this into account when designing their stands so they will accommodate both sizes of charging pucks.