avoiding battery usage

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cplindem, Feb 25, 2009.

1. cplindem macrumors newbie

I have a relatively new iPhone 3G, and I have been going through it's battery fairly quickly.

I know about it's "trickle effect" once it nears a full charge. But does this mean that there is no extra wear and tear on the battery if I leave it sitting at 100% charged for long periods?

Perhaps my real questions are:
    Is it a good idea or bad idea to always keep it plugged in when I'm at home at my computer?
    And...
    Is it using battery / causing extra wear on the battery if I use it while it is plugged in? Or is it only using juice from my computer?

thanks

2. cplindem thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

the batt's a lithium ion, which means there is no damage caused when u charge it before its at full capacity. in fact, at the apple website it advocates as such because charging will cause the electrons to move robustly. on the contrary if u dont charge it frequently, the bottom electrons will crystallize.

i recall reading somewhere a few years back that unlike the older nickel camdium batt's, lithium ion batteries are not meant to be plugged in for long periods when it is at full capacity. this will cause the electrons to overheat and they lose their charge bearing capacity over time. Do bear in mind that this is different from the earlier crystallization of electrons i mentioned earlier.

4. cplindem thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I guess that means that I should not hesitate to charge it, but I should remove it once it hits 100 (or very close).

I still do wonder whether it uses battery power (or causes wear on it) if I'm making calls etc while it's charging.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the electronics cut off the charge when the battery is fully charged. so leaving it plugged in will not do anything.

6. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Of course, it will use battery but when it's plugged in and your using it to do something that doesn't use that much battery, like making a phone call, it will keep the charge. If you are doing something that is draining battery faster than the charger can charge then you are going to lose charge.

David