Avoiding carrier verification for preorder

MrRugged

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I am planning on preordering, like everyone else, but will be buying a phone outright on my wife’s account for my use. I’m on a corporate account so am not the authorized user on my numbered account on my phone so that is why I use my wife’s number and account and just put in my sim upon receipt. I’ve already saved the phone config in my favorites. This has worked the last few times except I have to wait for a text on my wife’s phone and enter in the code to checkout. Is there anyway to bypass this? I’ve already checked with the carrier, and, as expected, they are clueless. Does this verification step happen if I just purchase it on her phone? Any insight is appreciated to save a few seconds.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
This happens if you don’t have an additional security passcode enabled on your Carrier account, you’ll receive a text message with a one-time passcode at the number you provide during the ordering process.

If you set a passcode on your account then instead of waiting for the SMS Txt, you just go to a screen where you need to enter this passcode instead of waiting for the SMS Txt. Note this passcode is in addition to your normal user id password.

Dave

MrRugged

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Thanks for the info. Do you have to enter the passcode or info if I place the order from her phone directly?

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Things must have changed since I pre-ordered my 6 Plus. I don't recall getting an SMS from AT&T, security passcode was disabled on myATT.

I just did a dry run order of an 8 Plus on the iOS app. It verified my information with AT&T, pressed continue, added to bag. I went as far as payment method.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I believe if you order the T-Mobile
Version, you avoid carrier verification but then you don’t get the CDMA version of the phone which is a show stopper for some.