Avoiding having to enter a passcode all the time?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kat.hayes, Nov 16, 2011.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

My work email just began requiring a passcode on my iPhone in order to download work email.

1. Is there anyway around having to enter this passcode each and everytime I turn on the phone? Is there some app or something I might be able to do other than not download my work email to the the phone?

2. Is there a way to leave all of the settings on the phone for my work email but turn it off somehow temporarily so I do not have to enter the passcode all the time and I can somehow just check the email when I need to?

Thanks.

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Can you provide some general details about your work email? Is it Exchange email? Some other service?

3. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Okay, thanks. Are you on your work's Wi-Fi? If so, is it the Wi-Fi connection that you keep having to enter the password into or is it the Mail.app?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its setup by your jobs network admin to keep the data on your phone that contains company info safe.
    Only way to remove it is to remove that exchange account and acess your email elsewhere.

6. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Yup, just did some research (aka Google) on this and actually found an old MacRumors article about it. Guess my company doesn't have this restriction.

7. BFG86 macrumors 6502

Can you set the required passcode option to something like after 4 hours. That's what I do. That way my database is encrypted but I only have to enter the password like once in the morning

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Adding to Applejuiced's comment: bypassing the restriction set by your company's IT/Security policy could have bad consequences if you get caught.

As to your item #2 idea, I'm not sure but it's easy enough to test. Turn off all the services under that mail account and see if the password restriction lifts without actually deleting the account. You may need to explicitly change the passcode lock timer under Settings->General->Passcode Lock