Avoiding Macbook Pro Keyboard Sheen/Shine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I had a 2010 MBP, within 6 months of use the matte surface of the keys started to wear down and accumulate a sheen/shine on them.

I just got a 2011 MBP and would like to avoid this the second time around. How does one keep their keys from wearing off like that?

Using a keyboard cover or external keyboard is out of the question, is there a certain cleaning routine that I should adopt?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Unless you want to wear gloves, not really. Using a cover is the best option but since you aren't willing to use a Moshi or Rearth type of cover...

You can clean the keys but you can't really avoid the wear.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

You could regularly clean them and wear gloves

4. fingerman macrumors member

Have you tried screen covers? I've got used to my Moshi :)

5. Contiguous macrumors member

6. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't get it.

I've owned a couple of laptops before making the switch to Macbooks and none of them had cheap keys. Even the laptops I use at work have kept their matte surface for years.

It just ruins the look of the laptop when the keys look like I just got back from McDonalds and wrote a term paper.

7. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

you can replace the keys every year : p but a keyboard cover isnt really that bad it doesn't hinder my typing and my macbook keys look just like ive had them since day 1 when ive had my macbook for well over a year now :D

8. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it comfortable to type on?

I enjoy feeling the surface of the keys, I don't want to have to feel some rubbery polymer while I'm typing.

The cover you recommended seems to have stellar reviews across the board, but I just feel like using a keyboard cover is a little overboard.

9. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

It's simple - just change your skin's pH balance.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

silicone keyboards are garbage

the one i reocmend and have used for 9 months now is the moshi clearguard keyboard cover. its made of plastic rather than silicone so its thinner, lets the backlught shine through and fairly easy to get use to (mighht take longer for you since u always typed the keyboard "naked" LOL

anyways i made a video on it. its not the best video to show but it does show yo it keeps the keys on the macbook pro look brand new from day one. plus it will save ur keyboard if u ever accidentally spill something

hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0qMIseRlR8

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

12. Raunien macrumors 6502

I actually thought about this before I bought my mbp. The moment i got it, i had custom individual key covers made from scotch tape :) made them myself. Took about an hour to perfectly fit each one, but it's all worth it

13. ConnYoungy macrumors 6502a

Why is there so many sarcastic replies?

It annoys me as well, i dont want the keys to end up looking shiny and cheap after a couple months (which they're starting to)

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

mine wasnt

15. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, that's funny, I thought you were being sarcastic but now I actually want to see this.

16. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Because it's just a silly laptop. Normal wear and tear is a part of life. Use it and don't worry about it.

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

a expensive silly laptop XD

18. hooneyrob macrumors member

Crap, really bad. I had the Moshi one and cannot tell you how good it is to take it off :)

19. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Wash your hands in bleach, and never touch your skin or anyone elses, especially the face. No oils = less shiny. There will eventually be some shiny though, as the roughness of dry skin acts as sandpaper on the keys. This reply is not completely sarcastic, as I actually did just bleach my hands and my fingertips are wonderfully dry and oil free. It also keeps fingerprints and smudges off my iPhone.

20. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

If the Aluminum wore off and blackened over time would say the same thing?

If the trackpad cracked as you used it would you say the same thing?

The keyboard is part of the computer we paid thousands for. Excuse us for wanting it to remain in good condition for more than 4 months.

21. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Unfortunately it is a combination of two (2) things that causes this.. The OILS from your Hands and Fingers as well as the DIRT that then collects easily and sticks to the Oils.. and THEN much like 'polishing paint on a car' your use of the Keyboard, once matter is collected, is polishing the keys!!

The only way I know how to combat this is to 'wipe it with a damp cloth with some very mild detergent on it' .. I tend to do this every few days.. More OIL = More Troubles.. ** Obviously NOT dripping wet and preferably Sideways/ Upside Down to minimize the dirt and/or liquid entering under the keys.. **

A Clean Machine is a Happy Machine.. I hope.. :D

22. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

some people have dry hands so this is not an issue ... for others the oil on their hands will mark the keys ... nothing Apple can do about it.

talk to a dermatologist or get a keyboard cover.

23. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, that's rubbish.

I've owned laptops before now, and I use one at work everyday. This is not a problem with all laptops.

24. Raunien macrumors 6502

Here's a pic of what I do...can't feel the tape once it's on and protects keys from shininess :D

Attached Files:

25. badsmurf macrumors newbie

Is that clear sticky protector trimmed to each individual key as opposed to applied as a sheet? Not planning on doing that myself but it is a great idea assuming none of the corners start to lift.

I have got a 2,2 15"MBP on the way (estimate arrival 16th Aug), so I started to think about things like, do I need a new bag?, should I get a keyboard protector and/or wrist guard? Am I just being paranoid and should use it they same way I use every other machine (99% Lenovo company machines).

I think if I wanted to keep the MBP for a year then sell for the latest model again I might cocoon it in protection but I think a wrist protector and probable new bag is what I will go for on mine (so far). My work supped bak back screams "I have a valuable laptop" so I will get something a little more subtle, (quite like the Samsonite network bag so far)

Perhaps this should be in a new thread, but do people find the clasp of their watch hits the wrist guard in the MBP? I tried using the MBP in in the shop but to be honest I was more interested in comfort and choosing the model so didn't notice. Certainly I didn't feel as if my watch was hitting the machine, but it does on my Lenovo machine but that is a company machine so not my problem.

My only slight concerns is that over time metal clasp scratches the Aluminimium body on one side; or worse my nice watch clasp gets scuffed.

Are wrist guards worth it?