Avoiding Page Outs without more RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dimwhit, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

So I recently went from 2GB RAM in my iMac 2.8 to 4GB. I've noticed a good performance increase, but I also see that I still have significant Page outs (1.86GB currently). I've heard that's an indication of needing more RAM, but I'm tapped out. And I don't have significant performance issues.

Is there something else I should do to my machine to help with this?

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

How long ago was the last time you restarted your machine?

Either way, if you don't suffer performance issues, I say you just should leave it alone. 4gb is plenty to cover most tasks.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If you don't have any noticeable performance issues, don't worry about it. That's far more important than page outs.

Obviously running fewer apps at the same time and running less-demanding apps will limit the demand on your RAM, but if that interferes with your workflow, it's almost certainly not worth doing it.

4. Dimwhit thread starter macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

About 6 days ago. So that might be part of it.

And you're both right...I won't worry too much about it, since my performance was great. Just wondering if this is abnormal and something to worry about, or just the product of a long uptime and running a bunch of apps (not always all at once, though). Thanks.