Avoiding Radeongate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glenthompson, Aug 4, 2014.

1. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My late 2011 MacBook Pro is getting to the end of its AppleCare. Since I know it's just a matter of time until the graphics card craps out I wondered if it can be avoided. Will forcing the system to use only the integrated graphics and not using anything like an external monitor keep the system running longer. Since I now use the MBP mostly as a desktop I'm thinking of switching to a Mac Pro I just bought and using the MBP solely as a travel machine.

2. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

I just noticed my 2011 MBP graphics card is starting to go and I'm just outside of 3 years. I've heard some people have had success with gfxStatusCard forcing using integrated graphics only, but unfortunately that's probably just going to cover up the problem that will eventually show up again. I've got an appointment this week to talk to a genius about it, so I'll see what they say. I've got a new rMBP on its way, but was hoping to keep using my 2011 as a desktop.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Even doing that still can't stop Radeongate from happening.

When Radeongate hit my Mac, I couldn't even boot it up, because the EFI would detect that the dGPU was down.

Removing the ATI kexts via single-user mode didn't work, because it actually gave some form of emulated graphics (like the generic Windows SVGA drivers) rather than using the iGPU, which was completely unusable.

4. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I would also like to know this. At the moment, I'm avoiding using apps that use the dedicated GPU and am also using smcFanControl to control the fan speeds.

Will this help at all, and is the problem just related to the dedicated gpu only?

5. klogg macrumors member

Sorry for off-topic, one question though, do you think all early 2011 15' macbook pros have this problem? Mine is still running, but I'm concerned.

Thanks

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That should add some life to your MBP but how much is anyone's guess.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Most, if not all, of the Sandy Bridge logic boards with the Radeon GPU have the same manufacturing flaw that causes the GPU to fail.

So yes, it'll happen. The only question is, when will yours succumb to Radeongate?

Mine blew up 3 years after purchase (3 days out of my AppleCare, in fact).

8. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

Boneheadxan

I kept mine running a whole year using gfxcardstatus, forcing it to run on the 'Integrated' mode. That was until, I had to shut it down one day. It never came back on :eek:

It hits almost like a disease, as in, it's progressive. First, only a few symptoms, random crashes etc. I could still reboot and get it to a working state eventually.

In it's final days, it would show a glimpse of the desktop and BAM! Apple screwed everyone over with that batch of laptops :rolleyes:

9. bofphile macrumors newbie

What did you do when it happened ?

Thanks.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I opened up Photoshop CS6, and the screen just flashed to black.

Did a forced shutdown and after that, it wouldn't start up again.

I resurrected it by reballing a new GPU into the logic board. I also reapplied the thermal paste, since the logic board was already taken apart during the reballing.

It runs far cooler now. Idle temperatures are at around 35-40ºC.