AVPlayer is back!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jimmy623, Dec 21, 2012.

1. jimmy623 macrumors newbie

I received an email from eplayworks says that AVPlayer is back.

I checked the App Store. It's really there.

But it's just the old version. But the description says it officially support AC-3, E-AC3 TrueHD codec.

I don't know how did they do that but it's great for us customers.

Also , it says a iphone5 support version is waiting for review in the App Store.

2. byalican macrumors newbie

3. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

hopefully the iphone 5 update will be there soon.

CineXPlayer has been the only video app that I have been able to find so far that still supports AC-3, E-AC3 TrueHD codec. Its a good player just crashes on occasion.

4. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

yup it is that good and they just released finally today the iphone5 update.

5. tang63 macrumors newbie

is it worth the purchase? any feedback? compared to other video players

6. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Just gave it a try. Not much experience with iOS video players, but the iPhone 5 I tried it on had no problems rendering an episode of Game of Thrones (mkv, 720p, AC3 audio). Was also using srt subtitles, which I could only get to work by giving them the same filename as the video. The "Retina Display" option was enabled, and the video looked really nice.

Can't say I like the interface though, it's cluttered, uncustomizable and not very iOS-like (whatever the hell that means)

7. Xeyad macrumors 6502

does it have HTTP or FTP video streaming?

CineXPlayer has a web browser and you add servers to stream video from. I need that. But CineXPlayer can't play 720p MKV videos well, so if this can stream I will get it right away.

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Neither of them, as has also been mentioned in my new review. An excerpt dedicated to this question:

"Playing back streaming ((local) network) sources is still very restricted: only FTP (with pre-downloading) is possible – no HTTP / WebDAV / UPnP / SMB etc. (Please see THIS and THIS for better choices for UPnP and SMB, respectively.)"

(More info: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1513918 )

Unfortunately, CineXPlayer indeed pretty much sucks at MKV playback (as is also pointed out in my just-published review). On top of that, unfortunately, unless you jailbreak, it's not possible to play back MKV's with hardware acceleration. What iPhone model do you have? Can you jailbreak it?

9. alstrike macrumors regular

alstrike

I bought this app a few months back but now it doesn't say "Download App", it says "2,69€ / Buy App".

The weird thing is that I have the latest version (1.52) in iTunes library...

10. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Even i suffer from the same issue. I dont have the older version as i had deleted by mistake. But when i go to the app page. it says Buy App and not download. Did you find a solution???

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Simple answer is that technically it isn't the same app. So yes you have to pay for it.

12. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Apparently Not, at times it doesnt let you directly install it. Its some bug with app store. But there is a way around. I contacted the Apple Support and they told me to go to Updates->Purchases Items->Not on this iPhone. There find the AVPlayer. It will be there for sure and click on the cloud button. It will be downloaded once again.

Hope this helps. :)

13. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

Do you guys watch that much video on iPhone ?, I can see it on the iPad, but on iPhone!, not sure.

14. CrzyIcE macrumors member

I have a problem if anyone have any solutions.
    When I try to watch vids using this app that are 720p or 1080p, the movie speed keeps changing. (the video speed bar on the right would move up and down)
    This makes the video unpleasant to watch.
    Anyone know a fix for this?

15. zoky macrumors newbie

zoky

avplayer from today does not support DTS, ac-3???

16. zoky macrumors newbie

zoky