avr and apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jaycle, Nov 10, 2013.

1. jaycle macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an avr that is compatible with apple tv. I'm looking for one that is cheap, user friendly, supports 720 video, and has at least 4 hdmi inputs/ports. I don't need anything fancy, it can even be used, as long as it supports apple tv.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

recommendations made in your other thread....

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Use ANY AVR if u hook up ATV directly to TV and let TV do the switching.

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

At this point, that's sounds like any receiver on the market. The starting price point for new "home theater" receivers is the $200-$250 area. Any of these recievers will have 3-4 HDMI in and support at the very least 5.1 Dolby Digital & DTS. The AppleTV only supports 5.1 Dolby Digital.

If you can find a used receiver that only has 1 or 2 HDMI inputs, you can buy HDMI switchers that automatically switch to whichever HDMI port is active. I bought one of these for $30 (3 HDMI in) and it helped extend the life of my very nice Denon receiver that only has 2 HDMI inputs. Nothing was wrong with the receiver, it just ran out of HDMI.

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Check your local best buy for open box and clearance receivers. Also for the money Denon refurbs from accessories4less are good deals.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That still leaves a large number of options out there. What are your additional criteria to narrow down the options? What's your specific budget? Don't just assume that your notion of "cheap" is universal.