AW 2 question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lauramayer, Sep 11, 2016.

1. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

Hello,
    now we have a waterproof AW 2 :)
    Is it possible to wear the AW 2 while I am in a sauna? I love wellness!

I don't like to wear a watch on my arm while I am swimming or relexing. So is it possible to wear it on the leg/ankle?

Greetings,
    Laura

2. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

i would not do that...i was wearing a casio gshock until i bought an AW and i went into sauna with it...it kills your watch unfortunately :/

3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I don't think you should wear anything in a sauna!

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First there is NO such thing as waterproof. It is water rated to the IOS ATM standard of ATM5. You will be 100% fine wearing it in any water conditions you can encounter including a sauna. While we don't know the adhesive (glue) used it is certainly rated well above any temperature the human body can withstand.

Also the IPx7 rated original has been used in sauna without a problems.

5. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I wouldn't be so sure about it. There are temperatures reached in a sauna which are far outside of what Apple is covering.

Quote from the Apple Watch manual:

Operating temperature
    Apple Watch is designed to work best in ambient temperatures between 32° and 95° F (0° and 35° C) and be stored in temperatures between -4° and 113° F (-20° and 45° C). Apple Watch can be damaged and battery life shortened if stored or operated outside of these temperature ranges.

6. Mikael H macrumors 6502

This. Also the relatively rapid heat change between room temperature air and the air in the sauna, and then the cooling back down to room temperature (or if you're doing a real sauna: down to near-freezing temperatures) could cause condensation to form inside any seals.

TL;DR: Do not use any mechanical or electronic gear you care about in a sauna.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Many people have been and do wear the original in saunas without a problem. I'm a launch day extreme workout owner and while I don't sit in a sauna (wouldn't hesitate a second if I did) mine has been and will continue to be exposed to the harshest water conditions including over 500 (hot) showers, mud running, rain, mist, snow, etc. Also if any water ingress happens just like the original it will be covered under warranty.

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, my (Apple's) point still stands. If you operate outside of the recommended temps and have a damage as a consequence, Apple most likely won't cover it if they find out. And this is not about water ingress.

If you're such a sauna expert you can imagine that the casing will easily reach temps outside of the recommendations, mabye 50 or 60 degrees celsius. Also, AFAIK the back is GLUED to the watch case, at least in the series 1.

9. mouse91 macrumors newbie

10. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

11. Julien, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien