Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japples23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2015
Hey Guys

Totally ignorant question here...but Im currently using a AW series 1, and am considering the upgrade to the new LTE.

My interest is the ability to leave my phone at home and just use the Apple Watch when I don't want to carry anything.

My question is, what happens to my incoming calls to my phone? Is there a way to route calls to my iPhone phone number to the watch, even if i don't have my phone w me?

Everything Ive read indicates that the watch will work similarly to my iPad, where the carrier assigns a ghost phone number with the Sim....so I can receive calls to the watch on my iPhone phone number

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Actually, it's a little different than how the iPad works. The iPad actually only has a data connection - you're getting the call from your iPhone via continuity (which is also how it works on the AW0, 1 and 2) over wifi or bluetooth.

The AW3 uses VoLTE - Voice over LTE - and the carriers can assign multiple SIM's to the same number using this technology - it will ring on all devices at the same time - they're all active. If you don't want to take the call, just ignore it and it'll go to your voicemail (heh, or if you have a nosy partner, maybe they'll answer it for you on your iPhone at home) :)

Hmm. Does make me wonder about the race condition if you both answer at the same time....conference call? :)

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Actually, it's a little different than how the iPad works. The iPad actually only has a data connection - you're getting the call from your iPhone via continuity (which is also how it works on the AW0, 1 and 2) over wifi or bluetooth.

The AW3 uses VoLTE - Voice over LTE - and the carriers can assign multiple SIM's to the same number using this technology - it will ring on all devices at the same time - they're all active. If you don't want to take the call, just ignore it and it'll go to your voicemail (heh, or if you have a nosy partner, maybe they'll answer it for you on your iPhone at home) :)

Hmm. Does make me wonder about the race condition if you both answer at the same time....conference call? :)
Kind of true... If your carrier supports WiFi calling from other devices, then its not using continuity. I can use my series 0 on a known WiFi network away from my iPhone and still get calls, same with the iPad. Only addition here is that now you don't even need the WiFi network to have this work.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Kind of true... If your carrier supports WiFi calling from other devices, then its not using continuity. I can use my series 0 on a known WiFi network away from my iPhone and still get calls, same with the iPad. Only addition here is that now you don't even need the WiFi network to have this work.
Ah, you're right....I forgot that they extended UMA/GAN (i.e. VoWIFI) to the watch and iPad. (when your carrier has the support for it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.