AW 5 compass

Apple2GS

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Has anyone tested the compass with the leather loop band? How much does the magnets effect the compass accuracy?

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I dunno if it's my Milanese loop band, but for me the compass app is off from the one on the phone by around 30 degrees.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, still off by like 30 degrees without the band at all. So at least in my office at work, either the phone or the watch isn't quite accurate (or both).

I did notice I could move the phone's compass by up to like 3 degrees by moving the watch near it :)

zlumax

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2019
My S5 has come without compass app preinstalled and i see no obvious way of installing it. Anyone here has some idea where i could get it?

zlumax

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2019
Have you tried the app store on the watch? I can see it there.
It has indeed been in there, thanks! Now the problem is when i click the cloud icon to install it it goes in the app page where it says "Requires iphone" and the cloud icon is faded - unaccessible. Could i be missing something or why would the install be unavailable? (I have the iPhone in range with WiFi access on both devices).

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
It has indeed been in there, thanks! Now the problem is when i click the cloud icon to install it it goes in the app page where it says "Requires iphone" and the cloud icon is faded - unaccessible. Could i be missing something or why would the install be unavailable? (I have the iPhone in range with WiFi access on both devices).
You have to install the compass app on the phone

Last edited:
Reactions: deeddawg

zlumax

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2019
You have to install the compass app on the phone
I have the "Compass" app from apple installed on the phone with no change. The icon is not the same orange-black one though, just a black compass (i think iPhones come with it preinstalled)...