Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Just saw this USA TODAY article calling the Apple Watch the number one Tech Turkey. I wonder if this writer has even touched an AW. His top reasons for it being a turkey are that it's too heavy and can't get through a day without a charge? Huh? The AW is the most comfortable watch I've owned, and based on a thread here, by far most people have no problem with battery life. Then he says it needs apps that can be controlled from your phone? Finally the I'll informed call to use it without an iPhone. I really don't think that will ever happen.

He then goes on to complain about smartphone batteries... 6s Plus has an incredible battery, and next bashes chip credit cards. Has the guy been to Europe?

I'd think a writer for a major publication would be a little better informed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/11/25/10-tech-turkeys-year/76315012/

Neo1975

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2015
What a chump. He also says Chip & Pin is confusing to use. Sure,insert card, enter 4 digits, press enter. How can it ever work ?

Reactions: L.C.W.

L.C.W.

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
MN
Clearly an uninformed reporter who doesn't know **** about tech

Last edited by a moderator:

telefono

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
He says perhaps one day Apple Watch 2 will improve, what a genius, why didn't I think of that

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I just listened to the debate between Graham and Edward Baig, who correctly points out that at least two of Graham's complaints - weight and poor battery life - aren't accurate. For example, Graham complains that the watch can't get through a day without a charge. Though that may be true for some use cases, I think they're in the minority.

Some of the other items on his list are also odd or flat out wrong. Smartphone battery life keeps improving when you consider how much more we do with these devices. Why call a movie about Steve Jobs a tech turkey? And what about his complaints about chip cards and too many subscriptions?

I think that Graham himself should be at the top of the tech turkey list.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
doesn't last a day? is he using running all day or something? I have a good 30-40% left by 23.00

superdx

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
I can go 2 days easily between charges, sometimes even 3. And heavy? My mechanical watches are like 2-3x the weight of an Apple Watch. Maybe he got the Edition? But if you paid for it, damn you better be sure you want to feel the weight of the gold.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Never hit less than 45% battery after wearing the watch from 7am to after midnight. And I get lots of notifications. Battery has been excellent for me.

Just read this "article." Who peed in this guy's Cheerios? He comes off like a petulant 12 year old girl.

Last edited:

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
What a chump. He also says Chip & Pin is confusing to use. Sure,insert card, enter 4 digits, press enter. How can it ever work ?

And it's been the norm in Europe for years... US just late to the game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Click bait pure and simple, of course its not a turkey, yet he's including it because he wants people to be drawn into his article/video

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
And Canada. Not done in the US?

The US just started using it a few months back and there is all this hoopla about how it doesn't work well, too confusing for consumers, etc.. The media here apparently isn't aware that none of this is new (globally), so they look completely stupid coming up with all this nonsense about how it won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.