Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I can't say if it's recommended or not, but I've taken my S2 into the ocean several times. No problems.

I was careful to rinse it off completely before touching the screen just in case any dried salt might scratch the screen.

Reactions: AGuerrav

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
I swim in the ocean occasional and have taken my watch into the ocean a few times, but I also have a large saltwater aquarium and my watch winds up in the saltwater for my aquarium at least once or twice a week. I usually rinse it with freshwater after I pull it out, but occasionally I just towel it off. I haven’t seen any ill effects from the saltwater on the watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Has someone submerged the AW into the sea? Is it recommended to do it?

I can't say if it's recommended or not, but I've taken my S2 into the ocean several times. No problems.

I was careful to rinse it off completely before touching the screen just in case any dried salt might scratch the screen.

Yes, Apple specifically stated you can swim with the Series 2 and Series 3 in the ocean. You want to make sure you thoroughly rinse it off and dry it thoroughly when through.

The First generation Apple Watch and Series one is not recommended to swim with, as it’s only splash resistant rated.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I have used S2 and S3 in the ocean. No worries. They both do fine on ocean swims.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I don't know how the Apple Watch seals (with internal o rings I guess?).

General rules for O rings (cameras, dive computers etc etc) and salt water are, always soak in fresh water afterwards and be especially careful about allowing to dry out without a good soak and then resubmerging. (Say doing two swims and leaving it in the sun in between). If you have no fresh water around just put it somewhere where it will stay damp. The reason is tiny salt crystals can form on an o ring if its allowed to dry out without a rinse. These crystals can sometimes push the o ring away from the seal as they form. If the object is then resubmerged to any depth - the crystals immediately dissolve and the o ring doesn't have time to pop back into shape before the water rushes in.

americafirst

Suspended
May 22, 2018
#backtheblue

General rules for O rings (cameras, dive computers etc etc) and salt water are, always soak in fresh water afterwards and be especially careful about allowing to dry out without a good soak and then resubmerging. (Say doing two swims and leaving it in the sun in between). If you have no fresh water around just put it somewhere where it will stay damp. The reason is tiny salt crystals can form on an o ring if its allowed to dry out without a rinse. These crystals can sometimes push the o ring away from the seal as they form. If the object is then resubmerged to any depth - the crystals immediately dissolve and the o ring doesn't have time to pop back into shape before the water rushes in.
I did that anyway but forgot why I did it thanks for the reminder

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Apple actually recommends that you just rinse the Apple Watch off after using it in the oceanAnd then thoroughly rinsing, they don’t mention anything having to submerge the Apple Watch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht205000

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.