AW and sea water

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AGuerrav, Jun 13, 2018.

1. AGuerrav macrumors regular

AGuerrav

Has someone submerged the AW into the sea? Is it recommended to do it?

2. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I can't say if it's recommended or not, but I've taken my S2 into the ocean several times. No problems.

I was careful to rinse it off completely before touching the screen just in case any dried salt might scratch the screen.

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I swim in the ocean occasional and have taken my watch into the ocean a few times, but I also have a large saltwater aquarium and my watch winds up in the saltwater for my aquarium at least once or twice a week. I usually rinse it with freshwater after I pull it out, but occasionally I just towel it off. I haven’t seen any ill effects from the saltwater on the watch.

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I went snorkeling near Palawan with my S0 several times, and never had a problem. I'll be doing the same with my S3 when I'm down there again.

5. AGuerrav thread starter macrumors regular

AGuerrav

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yes, Apple specifically stated you can swim with the Series 2 and Series 3 in the ocean. You want to make sure you thoroughly rinse it off and dry it thoroughly when through.

The First generation Apple Watch and Series one is not recommended to swim with, as it’s only splash resistant rated.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would worry more about the sand as I am thinking it could scratch the screen.

8. tl01 macrumors 68020

I have used S2 and S3 in the ocean. No worries. They both do fine on ocean swims.

9. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I have had my S3 in the ocean and all other types of water and no issues so far

10. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I don't know how the Apple Watch seals (with internal o rings I guess?).

General rules for O rings (cameras, dive computers etc etc) and salt water are, always soak in fresh water afterwards and be especially careful about allowing to dry out without a good soak and then resubmerging. (Say doing two swims and leaving it in the sun in between). If you have no fresh water around just put it somewhere where it will stay damp. The reason is tiny salt crystals can form on an o ring if its allowed to dry out without a rinse. These crystals can sometimes push the o ring away from the seal as they form. If the object is then resubmerged to any depth - the crystals immediately dissolve and the o ring doesn't have time to pop back into shape before the water rushes in.

11. americafirst Suspended

americafirst

I did that anyway but forgot why I did it thanks for the reminder

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple actually recommends that you just rinse the Apple Watch off after using it in the oceanAnd then thoroughly rinsing, they don’t mention anything having to submerge the Apple Watch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht205000