AW and swimming

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gugy, Sep 7, 2016.

1. gugy macrumors 68030

As an avid swimmer, I am stoked with the new AW. I am curious to see the swimming tracker and it's accuracy. I was considering the Fitbit Flex 2, but that's now not happening.
    For sure getting the cheapest model. Wouldn't pay more for something it will be obsolete in less than two years. That said, good job Apple.
    Just bummed out that I will probably not use my Omega Seamaster as much anymore.

2. BrodieApple macrumors 6502

BrodieApple

I'm just happy I can jump in the pool without worrying about it

3. a1kim macrumors member

I'm glad the new watch will be officially blessed for swimming, but I've been swimming in the pool with my series 1 watch for a year now, and no problems.

4. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Now the question is, can you control Apple Watch series 2 with wet fingers while swimming?

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

i was wondering about this. been scared to try it. i don't "swim" per se, as much as i just hang out in the pool now and then. your AW 1 (or is it 0 series?) has been ok in the pool?

this past weekend i was streaming music from my phone to a bluetooth speaker by the pool. would have been nice to change tracks via my watch. but i was too nervous to try it.

6. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

I doubt it.

7. profets macrumors 68040

Same here! So happy that the new one will have swimming workouts.

Very hard to accurately touch the screen with wet fingers. And when not locking the screen during a swim, the water on the screen mimics all sorts of weird touches.

Absolutely ok in the pool. Though Apple doesn't necessarily advise that. I did exactly that this summer several times - control music playback to a bluetooth speaker from my watch in the pool.

8. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I am excite about the swimming tracker. I hope it is accurate. There is very little info out there but the small samples I have seem so far looks very promising. On the keynote it seems Apple put a lot of effort on it.
    This was the only thing holding me back. I am not super in love with the watch but if can be a very powerful tool for exercise I will go for it. Can't wait to see the first reviews from swimmers.

9. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I swim with my original AW all the time. It took me several months to try it, but after getting it wet a few times, then washing it a few times without issues, I finally left it on while swimming.

I would not wear it for diving or wake boarding, but swimming is not a problem.

TxWatch

10. sactownbwoy macrumors regular

I swim with mine and went to the beach a few times, playing in the ocean with it on. Still working just fine to this day.

11. gugy thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I heard people using the series one for that but I always felt better to wait for an official release Anna native swimming tracker. Watching the keynote it seems Apple took the time and focused on swimmers. That's great news. Hopefully the reviews will be positive.