Aw crap, my 2006 MacBook's palmrest is cracking... Will Apple repair it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ravenvii, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I've read that Apple will repair it even if it's out of warranty? Any truth to that? What should I tell the Genius to convince him to have it repaired without cost to me?

Thanks!

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

If you tell him you dropped it or something that probably won't help. I have an 06 mbook that has this too but I never got it repaired, your local cert.retailer should be able to fix/replace/send it to someone who can fix/replace it for free on behalf of Apple, though.

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

They should, its not that big of a deal. Although my '06 MB is under warranty I had it replaced about 4 times cause of that.

4. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

It was found to be a design flaw. They are replacing the cracked casing no questions asked last i checked.

5. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Mine was fixed about a year ago for the same issue. It was out of warranty, but replaced anyway.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They tend to repair it even out of warranty. Though the replacement upper case appears to be just another upper case.

7. fluffyx macrumors 6502

At the moment, Apple repairs any MacBook whose palmrest is cracking free of charge—regardless of the computer's age.

About two or three months ago, Apple started recommending that service providers and Apple Stores install these metal support "shims" that try to reduce the instance of top case cracks. So hopefully this won't happen again :).

8. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Got mine replaced a month ago, they give you a new clean keyboard as well since its all from one part!

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I liked getting the new keyboard and trackpad as well. Though I needed a PRAM reset afterward because the trackpad would act up.

10. harry*333 macrumors 6502a

harry*333

YES YES YES they will repair it for free
    i had this in the spring, took it to the genius bar and they fixed it
    apparently it has been classified as a factory defect so it can be fixed anytime even out of warranty
    don't make any excuse about dropping it or anything because then they won't think its wear which is what the factory defect is for
    and if your lucky i've heard stories that some people have taken it and they replace their whole macbook with a new one, very rare case i think

11. kupua macrumors member

If its a known defect, is there a case id or some reference that can be linked to the apple.com and find more info on it?

Thanks

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The old case yellowing and cracking issue might be up there as a KB article.

Otherwise the replacement of the upper case in general due to cracking is just something that's known and the repairs are done. At least from my experience and what I see on here. If anyone else has some deeper details please fill me in too.

13. kupua macrumors member

Yes, I can now confirm that too!:D Mine is on its way back to the apple farm!

Now what's the best way to protect that from happening again?