AW needs a sleep tracking app now.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Applenoob34, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Applenoob34 macrumors 6502

I work second shift. I don't take my AW off the charger until around 10am. When I go to bed around 1 or 2am I still have around 70% battery left. This could easily last the 6 or so hours I sleep. I could then charge the watch in the morning before I go to work. I think the battery is more than capable of monitoring someone's sleep if they are willing to charge it in the morning for a couple hours after they wake up. Hopefully a developer will come out with something here in the future. I really liked jawbones ability to do this.

2. bob24 macrumors 6502

I'm sure Apple has this in mind (and probably have an app ready).

If they haven't introduced it yet it probably is that it was not yet working as well as they would like (either from a battery or an accuracy perspective).

3. Applenoob34 thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe so. The AW is more than capable of doing it with the battery life I'm experiencing. If you google it, there's just a bunch of articles saying it can't be done because it will be charging all night. It takes a couple hours to charge from low battery. Most ppl probably sit at there desk for atleast that amount of time when they get into work.

4. spampy22 macrumors member

they should have a way to have in low power mode just to track sleep movements which should save battery

5. gladd06 macrumors member

Hey they had to hold back some things just to have significant software updates in the near future.. :D

Also a huge feature I'm looking forward to.

6. zaneliu94 macrumors regular

Yeah I'll be sticking to my Jawbone Up until  Watch upgrades to the function

7. simonx314 macrumors regular

I figure Apple held this back so people wouldn't complain about having to find time during the day to charge. I had plenty of battery left before I went to sleep last night but when I searched the app store there wasn't a single sleep tracking app. What gives? I wonder if Apple is not approving sleep tracking apps for the time being. I hope this changes soon.

8. Alith macrumors 6502

I charge my watch from 10-11pm whilst I'm at the computer and wear it whilst sleeping. You can see your heart rate measurements every 10 minutes in the health app. It's interesting to see how it responds to different phases of sleep. Mine was as low as 40bpm in deep sleep and bouncing around above resting levels during REM sleep.

Some sort of interpretation and comparison between different nights in the Activity app would be nice.

9. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I do not understand the fascination some people have with sleep tracking (with or without the Watch). I'm not saying they're wrong for it, just that I don't get it.

10. Applenoob34 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't either until I used the jawbone. It's interesting to see the actual amount of decent sleep your getting. You might see that you woke up and were awake for a little while while reviewing ur stats, but you didn't remember it. You can then play around with different habits or practices to see if you can improve your deep sleep in any way.