AW pulse delay

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by graley, Jan 24, 2017.

1. graley macrumors regular

In my last post i said i would use a Polar heart monitor and AW to compare the two.
    I updated AW to latest OS and fitted watch firmly, and set up Polar on other wrist with strap.
    That got some comment at gym.
    I use heartwatch app. I cannot see how to use that actvity thing or work out the data feedback.
    Findings....
    At steady heart rate both read the same.
    If bpm is accelerared as on doing situps with weight, Polar gets it immediately. aW delays up to ten seconds.
    At times it is erratic...wild swing to 70 bpm, then 130, before settling down to match Polar.
    I doubt if aw gets average bpm over the workout correct.
    Polar gives me avearge and peak bpm and duration of workout.
    I use heartwatch app. So far i cannot see how to get peak bpm
    Anyway, if you want just heart rate monitoring get Polar ( mine cost $49 here)
    If you want completeness and complexity and cost get AW

2. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

I bought the Twelve South action sleeve and its amazing. Go into the Apple Accesories forum and check out my post. With this sleeve it takes the watch itself and puts in a strap that you put around bicep and the heart rate monitoring is a TON BETTER> Check out my post to see examples using Heartwatch

3. aaplwatch macrumors member

The heart rate readings have become increasingly worse and laggy - really hope they fix this.

6+ minute delay at the start of HIIT workout is horrendous.

4. BlackS0ull macrumors newbie

Hello,

I don't want to open a new thread for my little question regarding the Heart Sensor from watch.

I've verified yesterday for the first time my heart-rate measurements taken from watch and I was speechless when I saw that it's reading/taking my heart pulse almost every 5 minutes ....or after I've verified better, it seems that every time I've look to the watch, is reading the heart pulse.

It's this normal to be so often this measurement?
    It there any way to configure this to be less frequent?

I've also attached a screenshot.

Thank you in advance!
    BlackS0ull

Attached Files:

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

• Yes
    • No (unless you cut it off), but WHY would you want fewer data points????

6. BlackS0ull macrumors newbie

Is not that I want less data points, is more or less the fact that maybe it's draining much more the battery of my phone/watch?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If your battery is dying prematurely you have other problems but normal operation is not the problem.

If you just 'fear' it might then this is called 'irrational fear' of the unknown.;)