Aw retired from gym

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by graley, Mar 5, 2017.

1. graley macrumors regular

fyi. I have given up on aw use in gym. For me it does not report heart rate in real time. It is always delayed in response to changes in bpm as to make it unreliable. When Polar reports sudden increase in bpm aw often drops to an absurdly low figure. I have tried different modes..walk, other etc because i read that aw samples differently for different modes. True or not I do not know. Anyway i dont see how an average bpm can be
    Meaningful.
    I tried aw on a long walk. Even then it would suddenly report 68 bpm when i knew it was 110 by Polar. Then suddenly report the real bpm.
    Aw is great for many things. But not for heart monitoring imho.
    I use app heartwatch. But i have tried the built in heart monitor with same result.
    Sorry Apple. Back to Polar and that annoying strap i was hoping to avoid.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The m Apple Watch needs to take a note from Garmin with the heart rate sensor. It's one of the areas I think they could improve with consistency, because it can't be all over the place. I honestly disable the heart rate sensor at times because of the inconsistencies.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The HR sensor has always worked poorly for me. Can not count the times I will be in a run and look down to see no HR or some ridiculous number like 42. Wish Apple would replace their sensor with one like in the Garmin or even Fitbit. My Garmin keeps my HR even when worn loose.

4. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I don't see the same thing on my S2 as you guys are seeing, I watch my HR all the time while running or doing elliptical and it's always within a few beats of what the HR monitor on the the machines report. I use a chest strap when outdoor mountain biking and it's also always very close. I wear mine tight enough that it don't slide around at all while exercising.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Garmin - my 'official' cardio/running/biking recorder
    :apple:Watch - my overall fitness./health recorder

Sometimes it takes 2 to make a whole.:D

6. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Is it any better with a bluetooth HR strap?

Or -- would you be willing to try putting the AW in an armband that wraps around your upper arm instead of your wrist?

7. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I don't have those issues so I'll just keep using my AW at the gym.

8. the caveman macrumors 6502

I haven't had any issues with aw2, its always within 2 or three of what the machine sensor reports. My gear s3 on the other hand, always wrong, always.

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I love my Apple Watch at the gym. I can leave my iPhone in my bag and control my music, get text messages, and time my rest between sets.

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I actually like the gear S III, but I have read plenty of reports where it is inaccurate frequently. Too bad, it actually has the potentisl to be a nice watch in certain areas.

11. lah macrumors regular

I've always found my AW heart rate sensor pretty accurate. I compare it with my Garmin and wahoo straps and it reads the same. Only reason I use the straps is for battery life during a long ride.

12. WenV macrumors newbie

I have worn both my AW2 (left wrist) and my Garmin HR+ to the gym and throughout the day to compare the accuracy of HR monitoring on both devices. I was pleased to see that both were registering my heart rate within 2-3 beats of each other. The only time there was a delay in recording changes in HR was when I was lifting weights but that was true of both devices. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with the performance of my AW2.

13. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

Seems consistent with the machines at gym for rate for me. May depend on exact fit I guess. Nike sport here. Fairly secure and comfortable

14. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

That's exactly how I was doing it. I sold my series 0 SS AW and now my other wrist feels naked without the Apple Watch. I keep looking at my G-shock to see what the temperature is outside...oops, wrong watch...

Let's see if I can resist the temptation of a series 2, but GPS, water resistance, and increased battery life are hard to dismiss.

As for heart rate, I didn't really notice much discrepancy, but I wasn't really checking. Too busy completing those cursed exercise rings.

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

So you were able to sell your first Gen watch. I didn't think your part ways with how the resale value was. But I'm going to instigate you to purchase a Series 2, I know you want one, but I have a feeling you eventually would purchase one anyways. If you do, let us know. Congrats on selling your first one.

16. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I usually get them from Best Buy and right now they have 42mm Space Black SS, but no silver SS. And now the SS only comes with a white sport band. Annoying...

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Best Buy is so strange sometimes how they carry stock on certain items. It's completely random on what they carry, but it's never what you're looking for at times.