AW - Sapphire display separated from case

forza1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Denver CO
Well,
The good thing, I have AppleCare+ so the watch is going in for repair this weekend. But damn, don't drop your Series 3 Stainless with Sapphire on the face. Crazy luck, but I guess stuff happens.
35299870_10156860738413455_902848794733838336_n.jpg
35379535_10156860742168455_3578939193411239936_n.jpg

timidhermit

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
How did you drop it? Were you unbuckling the watch and it slipped out? I am most curious in how securely the sports band truly was.

forza1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Denver CO
Actually had the Apple nylon strap on it. Darn thing just slipped out of my hand when unbuckling. Just an accident and fell flat on the face.

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I always put on and take off my AW, or any watch for that matter, over a surface like a table or desktop. I've never dropped it that way. Sure as I tried it out in the open, it would drop right to the floor.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
You're not the only one it happened to. There is currently a class action lawsuit about it that was reported on here at Macrumors a little bit ago. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/07/apple-watch-displays-class-action-lawsuit/
The article you linked isn’t relevant to the OP’s situation at all. The OP _dropped_ their watch on the face as stated in their original post, which was a result of the display Detaching . The lawsuit that you’re indicating in your link is discussing the Apple Watch display spontaneously detaching At “No fault” by the user. Those are two different things.

Direct from Article you linked:

“A new class action lawsuit filed against Apple this week alleges that all Apple Watch models suffer from a defect that causes the display to "crack, shatter, or detach from the body of the watch, through no fault of the wearer."

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
The article you linked isn’t relevant to the OP’s situation at all. The OP _dropped_ their watch on the face as stated in their original post, which was a result of the display Detaching . The lawsuit that you’re indicating in your link is discussing the Apple Watch display spontaneously detaching At “No fault” by the user. Those are two different things.

Direct from Article you linked:

“A new class action lawsuit filed against Apple this week alleges that all Apple Watch models suffer from a defect that causes the display to "crack, shatter, or detach from the body of the watch, through no fault of the wearer."
I wonder if the watch wasn’t already compromised and prone to have the screen pop off at any time. Dropping on the face from that height seems like it should have cracked that screen yet it didn’t. Maybe it didn’t because the screen was loose and was able to pop off and dissipate the impact rather than crack.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I wonder if the watch wasn’t already compromised and prone to have the screen pop off at any time. Dropping on the face from that height seems like it should have cracked that screen yet it didn’t. Maybe it didn’t because the screen was loose and was able to pop off and dissipate the impact rather than crack.
A lot of theories of what could have caused the watch to detach. I always say for something to crack, it’s always based on angle, impact and surface type. It’s really difficult to tell, you never know in these types of situations. But I like your train of thought here and its possible what you said. But unfortunately the impact triggered the detachment.

Last edited:

forza1976

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Denver CO
Well, regardless of how it happened. Apple was pretty cool, sent it back to their service center under the Limited Warranty. Didn't impact my Apple Care+. Pretty awesome, should get it back later this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.