AW Screen Doesn't Respond When Hands and/or Screen Wet

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by smarcotte, Oct 10, 2017.

1. smarcotte macrumors member

The last two mornings during runs of 5 miles and 3 miles respectively in either heavy rain or very humid conditions, the screen of my AW failed to respond to my touch. Granted the screen and/or my hands were very wet but the screen did not respond to swipes or touching the target to end my run(s). Once dry or drier, the watch operated normally. No issues.
    Anyone experience anything of a similar nature?

2. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Yes, it’s normal. Touch screens don’t work well with wet fingers.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sometimes just slightly damp can cause this but it is well documents that the screen does not work well when wet. That is why I question people showering with their AW?:rolleyes:

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Specifically speaking *capacitive* touchscreens don't work well with wet fingers. Resistive touchscreens do work okay as they sense physical pressure rather than capacitance and thus are effectively immune to moisture. This is the style touch screen the the Garmin FR610 had, after some missteps using capacitive controls on prior generations (FR410/405).

@smarcotte Both the Nike Run Club app and (I believe) Apple workout app allow you to pause by simultaneously pressing the crown and side-button.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    Rinses the salt (sweat) away after a run.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Soap scum that accumulates on your tile walls will also accumulate in the speaker holes. But everyone has options.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It can be annoying, but it happens. Same applies to the iPhone dislay. There isn't really any easy solution. It's most annoying if you had a stop Watch display you were using for a work out and you couldn't stop the stop Watch because of the Touch. You just have to dry your hands the best you can.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, best to avoid lathering up the watch.

Still, in years of post-lunchtime-run showers with various watches, I've yet to experience any issues from the practice. My year old AW2 is fine.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Mine is fine too but prefer to just run it under some fresh water every once in a while. Wearing the watch in the shower and never getting soap on it would be hard for me.