Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
My previous AW Series 0 SS I just cleaned under running water. Do I now need to close the speaker every time just like when I would go swimming and open it again with the crown to expel the water?

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
What your really doing is locking the screen to keep water from doing weird things like making a call or sending a text, water on the screen can act like your touching the screen. After you exit the water you turn the crown and the speakers make a series of sounds to eject the water. Your not really closing then.

Robbenisland

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2015
What your really doing is locking the screen to keep water from doing weird things like making a call or sending a text, water on the screen can act like your touching the screen. After you exit the water you turn the crown and the speakers make a series of sounds to eject the water. Your not really closing then.

Super helpful. Many thanks!

Reactions: JerTheGeek

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Interestingly, my Nike+ Watch I got a few days ago died after the first pool swim yesterday. Today when talking with Apple Support, they mentioned while it's swim proof, liquid damage is not covered by warranty. Now I don't exactly know how that would happen - eg what if you didn't lock the Watch and pressed the buttons, rotated the crown while under water. Would that do it?

I hope what they really meant was to submerge the Watch too deep and/or for too long.

moxxham

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Putting it in swim mode doesn't physically lock anything in the watch. All it does is stop touch response on the screen. Once you turn the crown to take it out of swim mode, it pushes water out of the speaker.

You can swim with or without putting into the mode from control centre or a swim workout.

The only purpose of that mode is to get water out of the speaker so the sound isn't muffled.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Putting it in swim mode doesn't physically lock anything in the watch. All it does is stop touch response on the screen. Once you turn the crown to take it out of swim mode, it pushes water out of the speaker.

Have you seen anywhere Apple suggesting you couldn't press the buttons or rotate the crown while under water?

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Interestingly, my Nike+ Watch I got a few days ago died after the first pool swim yesterday. Today when talking with Apple Support, they mentioned while it's swim proof, liquid damage is not covered by warranty. Now I don't exactly know how that would happen - eg what if you didn't lock the Watch and pressed the buttons, rotated the crown while under water. Would that do it?

I hope what they really meant was to submerge the Watch too deep and/or for too long.

So is Apple going to do anything to help you out? I was really hoping to swim with mine but not so sure I will after reading your post.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
So is Apple going to do anything to help you out? I was really hoping to swim with mine but not so sure I will after reading your post.

I just returned it for a refund today. Gonna think about if I wanted to buy another one while I wait for more user reports swimming with Series 2.

In the few short days I had it, the Nike+/Series 2 impressed me first with its battery life (pretty much lasted more than 2 days from first pairing, wasn't even fully charged), and while at the pool I was probably 15 to 20 metres away from my iPhone SE and I had texts coming in that I could read. Can't remember if the phone was connected to the location's Wi-Fi as it needed you to manually accept to connect to its network.

I also had no issues showering, so I dunno I was just unlucky with my Watch. I want to make sure pressing the buttons and rotating the crown while in the water shouldn't affect the water resistance. Afterall I was only standing in chest height water at the time and if I swam to the bottom it was only around 1.5m deep.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

It is covered by law (advertising) and by IOS licensing agreement.

ISO said:
...Consumers, on the other hand, gain guaranteed protection that any watch on the market sold as water-resistant must satisfy ISO 22810...

http://www.iso.org/iso/home/news_index/news_archive/news.htm?refid=Ref1367

Apple said:
Apple Watch Series 2 has a water resistance rating of 50 meters under ISO standard 22810:2010. This means that it may be used for shallow-water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. It is also safe to wear it while showering or in a hot tub....

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Among traditional watches, it's rare to find one which the manufacturer says it's okay to use the crown and pushers underwater. I can think of just one off the top of my head, and I can't even remember exactly which model (possibly an Omega Seamaster chronograph).

I would not recommend pushing the AW's button or turning its crown underwater.

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Among traditional watches, it's rare to find one which the manufacturer says it's okay to use the crown and pushers underwater. I can think of just one off the top of my head, and I can't even remember exactly which model (possibly an Omega Seamaster chronograph).

I would not recommend pushing the AW's button or turning its crown underwater.

My "diver's" Watch from waaaaay back locks the crown - you screw it tight, but that went deeper, and if Apple advertises "swim proof", they should make it so.

wvayens

macrumors member
May 5, 2015
I've been swimming 2-3 times per week for over a month now, anywhere from 60-90 minutes in the pool with a variety of strokes and drills and not a problem. I really like not having to count laps in my head. A flick of the wrist and I can see just what I've done so far.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Only Apple would have the "Courage" to market a product as a "swimmers watch" but not cover water damage. A staffer at the "Genius Bar" told me the same thing "water damage not covered on the Series 2" WTH???

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I've been swimming 2-3 times per week for over a month now, anywhere from 60-90 minutes in the pool with a variety of strokes and drills and not a problem. I really like not having to count laps in my head. A flick of the wrist and I can see just what I've done so far.
Awesome to hear. I am planning to do the same. By any chance, does the AW do a good job losing different strokes? I alternate back/breast stroke sometimes when I start to get tired doing freestyle. Thanks

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Among traditional watches, it's rare to find one which the manufacturer says it's okay to use the crown and pushers underwater.
When I still used Casio digital watches, the manufacturer's recommendation was to not push any buttons for models rated less than 100m water resistance. 100m or more was OK to push buttons underwater. I typically bought G-Shock watches, which were rated for 200m WR, and fully capable to be used underwater. After all, they were rated for scubadiving.

Only Apple would have the "Courage" to market a product as a "swimmers watch" but not cover water damage.
Why would warranty cover water damage? Warranty doesn't cover getting-run-over-by-your-car damage either. Warranty is for manufacturing defects or similar, not typically user-induced damage.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....Why would warranty cover water damage? Warranty doesn't cover getting-run-over-by-your-car damage either. Warranty is for manufacturing defects or similar, not typically user-induced damage.
Because Apple says it is "safe to wear" in water so if there is water ingress it MUST be covered because it is a manufacture defect and MUST meet the ISO's 22810 ATM5 standard. Apple doesn't say it is safe to run over with a car. Following Apple's usage instructions is NOT "...user-induced damage..." Apple has covered the :apple:Watch S0 since launch day for water ingress anyway.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
@Julien
Obviously Apple doesn't HAVE to cover water damage, as they reportedly aren't covering water damage. If they had to cover water damage, it would not say otherwise in the warranty disclaimer...

"Safe to wear" is within the specs of the device, by the way. Obviously if you go diving with it, the seals will most likely fail and your watch will flood. As Apple can't tell from a dead watch what happened to it, they don't cover water damage. Just like they're not covering water damage to iphones, macs and so on either.

You might be able to take out insurance for your watch though. Or your home insurance might cover it. My home insurance covered me breaking my iphone last year, for example.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
NO, Apple MUST cover or be in violation of their ISO licensing agreement. While you may be new to :apple:Watch they have covered the the S0 since launch day for water ingress despite what the wording of the warranty says. There are MANY instances/threads of people getting their watch replaced for water ingress.

ISO said:
...Consumers, on the other hand, gain guaranteed protection that any watch on the market sold as water-resistant must satisfy ISO 22810...

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
I'd like to know from Apple whether I could use my Watch while in the water, and under what condition like depth, length of time etc. eg respond to a Message, press or turn the Digital Crown, or press the Side Button. I don't mind if the answer is no, I just wanted to be sure.

Also this water resistance thing about how long it could stay under water - if I raised the Watch above water, does the the allowable amount of time restart from zero?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.