Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
can anyone please confirm or tell me what i am doing wrong...

Apple music does not stream only the beats radio correct ?

the only option i see for adding apple music to the watch....is not actually streaming correct ?

if im wrong can you please explain how to stream apple music ?

sorry but they should have opened it to pandora and spotify....would have been a lot easier

thanks in advance.

Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
125 views and no one knows

Guess u all don’t know how to use it like me

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
Looks pretty English to me

Plainly says are these methods correct or am I doing something wrong

Look Jerk, I never said it wasn't English. I merely suggested you reword your question, it's incoherent. That's why almost 200 people have looked at it and failed to answer. There are quite a few of us that have Apple music working on the watch, so you are clearly doing something wrong. Good luck, you are gonna need it.

Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
do either one of you own a AW3 with lte ?
if you do you would know exactly what im talking about ...

Last edited:

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
I have no idea what you’re asking either.

I own AW3. The Music app was on it. I pair Bluetooth headphones and I have some of my playlists, comprised of purchased songs, downloaded to the watch.

No, I cannot use the “Radio” function that you can use from an iPhone. At least not yet.

Reactions: andresandiego

Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I have no idea what you’re asking either.

I own AW3. The Music app was on it. I pair Bluetooth headphones and I have some of my playlists, comprised of purchased songs, downloaded to the watch.

No, I cannot use the “Radio” function that you can use from an iPhone. At least not yet.

then its obvious you are not up to date on what your watch can and cannot do otherwise you would know also.
read my post....Beats Radio not reg radio
Apple music as in the streaming music service they have.

secondly google apple music and latest update to your watch...maybe you have not done this yet.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
then its obvious you are not up to date on what your watch can and cannot do otherwise you would know also.
read my post....Beats Radio not reg radio
Apple music as in the streaming music service they have.

secondly google apple music and latest update to your watch...maybe you have not done this yet.

Or maybe it’s becusse I don’t give one flying f*** what Beats Radio even is...

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
do either one of you own a AW3 with lte ?
if you do you would know exactly what im talking about ...

I do own a AW3 LTE and the Apple Music app along with the Radio app are working great. And I still have no idea what you are talking about.

I can stream song in my iTunes library as well as any song available in iTunes. I am a paid subscriber to Apple Music. The Radio App works as advertised. There are quite a few stations along with the Beats 1 station, ESPN, NPR, etc. I have even created a few stations myself from songs and artist similar to the way Pandora works.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
Oh yeah, I do have Radio. Shows how much I use that feature. (I bought it mostly for running and being able to call in case of an emergency as I don’t carry my phone when I run). Yes my Radio works. I don’t see that Beats channel. I never listen to it so this is inconsequential to me.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
can anyone please confirm or tell me what i am doing wrong...

Apple music does not stream only the beats radio correct ?

the only option i see for adding apple music to the watch....is not actually streaming correct ?

if im wrong can you please explain how to stream apple music ?

sorry but they should have opened it to pandora and spotify....would have been a lot easier

thanks in advance.

There are three ways to listen to music on the watch: by syncing music from your phone to your watch; by streaming items in your music library; and by streaming radio.

To stream from Apple Music you have to have added the music to your library via your iPhone first. Slightly confusing is that adding to your library does not mean downloading the music necessarily. You have two choices when adding to your library: simply adding to your library (a bit like a playlist in my opinion) or downloading to your library (in which case you could play the music without an internet connection). Let’s assume you just want to stream music and not store it locally (this is what I do). Open the Music app on your iPhone, find albums/songs/whatever and add to your library.

This music will then show in the Music app on your watch immediately and can be streamed.

I agree, it’s a bit confusing at first and it took me a little while to figure out.

I hope this helps.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
There are three ways to listen to music on the watch: by syncing music from your phone to your watch; by streaming items in your music library; and by streaming radio.

To stream from Apple Music you have to have added the music to your library via your iPhone first. Slightly confusing is that adding to your library does not mean downloading the music necessarily. You have two choices when adding to your library: simply adding to your library (a bit like a playlist in my opinion) or downloading to your library (in which case you could play the music without an internet connection). Let’s assume you just want to stream music and not store it locally (this is what I do). Open the Music app on your iPhone, find albums/songs/whatever and add to your library.

This music will then show in the Music app on your watch immediately and can be streamed.

I agree, it’s a bit confusing at first and it took me a little while to figure out.

I hope this helps.

I'll also like to add if you are not a subscriber to Apple Music you will not be able to stream music from your iTunes library. The only songs you will be able to play will have to be downloaded to your watch. Also if you are not a subscriber to Apple Music when you go to the Radio app the only station you will be able to listen to is the Beats 1 station.

Last edited:

Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008

I hope this helps.

yeah this helped thank you...seems confusing as hell the way they state you can stream from Apple Music service...but you really need to save it to the watch ( but not really saving to the watch - its in the cloud)
i wish they would just open it to all streaming music and let it be used like we use pandora - spotify on our phones.

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
yeah this helped thank you...seems confusing as hell the way they state you can stream from Apple Music service...but you really need to save it to the watch ( but not really saving to the watch - its in the cloud)
i wish they would just open it to all streaming music and let it be used like we use pandora - spotify on our phones.

Agree. Should be possible to browse Apple Music directly on the watch.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
Agree. Should be possible to browse Apple Music directly on the watch.

When you say browse Apple Music on watch what do you mean? I am able to see my entire iTunes library on my watch, including playlist. When I open the app on the watch I can scroll using the crown wheel and it will show me what I recently played. If I want to listen to something that I don't have in my library I just ask Siri to play the artist or the name of the song. All of this is capable with a PAID Apple Music account.

Last edited:

Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
When you say browse Apple Music on watch what do you mean? I am able to see my entire iTunes library on my watch, including playlist. When I open the app on the watch I can scroll using the crown wheel and it will show my what I played recently. If I want to listen to something that I don't have in my library I just ask Siri to play the artist or the name of the song. All of this is capable with a PAID Apple Music account.

ok so i have a paid apple music acct but the only way im seeing the music from my acct loaded on the watch is in the watch app and under music - i have to add it.

is there a setting that you did that placed all your music from apple music on the watch or capable of playing from the watch ?

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
ok so i have a paid apple music acct but the only way im seeing the music from my acct loaded on the watch is in the watch app and under music - i have to add it.

is there a setting that you did that placed all your music from apple music on the watch or capable of playing from the watch ?

There is actually no music on my watch. The music I see when I open the music app on the watch is in my iCloud music library, which is available on all my Apple devices. The music the watch is playing is being streamed. I can not listen to it unless I am on LTE, WiFi or have a connection to my iPhone.

The only setting I could recommend that you check is on your phone. Settings-> music, and make sure iCloud music library is turned on.

What do you mean when you say you have to add the music?

Last edited:

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA

I think I'm getting what you are asking. Apple Music can stream but you have to be specific with the app. So you can listen to music downloaded to your watch of course, and the radio app; as everyone else mentioned. I think this next part is maybe what you are looking to do..perhaps?

So I can stream from Apple Music artists that are not on my phone or my watch by using Siri. I can say siri, play tracks by Ozzy Osbourne, and it will create a playlist and start playing. Yesterday, I was walking and missed Janet Jackson, so I asked for janet music and it played.

Is this what you mean?

Sebby

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
London, UK
When you say browse Apple Music on watch what do you mean? I am able to see my entire iTunes library on my watch, including playlist. When I open the app on the watch I can scroll using the crown wheel and it will show me what I recently played. If I want to listen to something that I don't have in my library I just ask Siri to play the artist or the name of the song. All of this is capable with a PAID Apple Music account.

I just mean without having to add it to your library in advance really.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
I just mean without having to add it to your library in advance really.

Okay I understand now. My method is to use iTunes and make a bunch of playlist, which I am able to see on my watch using the Music App. It is much easier to locate playlist on the watch than it is for the artist or the album. And if there is an artist or song I don't have in my library I just use Siri on the watch and ask for it to play it.

Reactions: menace3

Sean006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Okay I understand now. My method is to use iTunes and make a bunch of playlist, which I am able to see on my watch using the Music App. It is much easier to locate playlist on the watch than it is for the artist or the album. And if there is an artist or song I don't have in my library I just use Siri on the watch and ask for it to play it.

you are able to do this without the phone paired corrcect ?

yeah im still lost lol
my watch app says i have 42 songs on it ( in range of the phone) but it shows like 80 on the watch itself

guess my main point was how to actually stream from apple music app (paid apple music subscription) the entire apple music library...

goes back to me saying again - I wish they would open it up to pandora and let it run like it does exactly how it is on the phone..

from what you are saying you have full access to the entire apple music library but you have ask SIRI to play it and it streams over lte....not stored on the watch ?

Last edited:

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
you are able to do this without the phone paired corrcect ?

yeah im still lost lol
my watch app says i have 42 songs on it ( in range of the phone) but it shows like 80 on the watch itself

guess my main point was how to actually stream from apple music app (paid apple music subscription) the entire apple music library...

goes back to me saying again - I wish they would open it up to pandora and let it run like it does exactly how it is on the phone..

from what you are saying you have full access to the entire apple music library but you have ask SIRI to play it and it streams over lte....not stored on the watch ?

Yes I am able to do this without out the phone paired.

You will only see music that you have added to your library. But even if you have not added a song or an artist to your library you can see play it just by asking Siri to play what you want to hear.

Yes this is streamed over LTE and not stored on my watch. I have NO songs stored on my watch at all. All my music is being streamed.

I will say when I first updated my watch to 4.1 which is the software that allowed streaming of music I did have an issue. I could not see all of the music in my iCloud library. Erasing and resetting the watched corrected this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.