AW3 BT radio :(

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ThatGuyInLa, Sep 29, 2017.

1. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

My Pioneer AVIC6100ex detects the Apple Watch 3, but errors when attempting final pairing phase.

Anyone else having issues directly connecting their watch 3 to an aftermarket unit?

2. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Guessing you're really determined to have the most abysmal battery life possible with your Watch, right? You'll kill the battery in a couple hours, streaming from cellular to bluetooth.

Use your iPhone. You're in your car...pretty sure there's more than a few places you can store your phone in there. :)

3. zone23 macrumors 68000

So your saying that the advertised idea of streaming 40 Million songs from you AW3 to your bluetooth headphones is going to kill the battery before you finish your workout?

4. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

BT headphones aren't the same as the deck in your car. BT headphones are designed to conserve energy (bluetooth low energy ring a bell?)
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple purposefully made it so the watch won't connect to car audio systems. It would be one thing to use it as a remote (but, if you have CarPlay, why would you?), but to use it as a streaming source for your car??

5. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Just wanted to add my watch won’t pair to the car either. Not a problem since my phone pairs to the car and I can ask Siri on the watch to carry out my commands through the phone anyway.

I was trying to pair watch to car out of curiosity. I think the point about Bluetooth headphones being low power makes sense.

6. ThatGuyInLa thread starter macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

I forgot my phone at home and i have a watch charger at work!

7. zone23 macrumors 68000

Yeah stream from my watch to my car, your getting it now. I don't need to bring my phone with me. Of course I'm not talking about an 8 hour drive I'm talking back and forth to work, the store stuff like that.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Not the AW3’s fault. Likely not designed to pair to your car radio.

9. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Heh. I got the use case in the first place. :) I'm saying this would be highly detrimental to battery life on the watch. That Pioneer deck in particular talks about how it doubles the bandwidth with your bluetooth device to provide FM quality voice for hands free.

It would be interesting to see just how quickly it would kill the battery in the watch.

I really think a lot of people don't get it. The battery in your watch is about the size of two dimes...the battery in your iPhone is almost the size of the siri remote for the Apple TV. You can't expect the same functionality out of the watch.

10. zone23 macrumors 68000

Hay I get it. I just think it would be cool if you forget your phone you could just use the watch.