AW3 + Cellular on unsupported network? What would happen?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by craigp, Sep 17, 2017.

1. craigp macrumors member

EE is the only supported carrier at launch, here in the UK. What do we think would happen if we were to try the Watch 3 on another network?

Does it require special services on the carrier’s end to support the eSIM?

It’s kinda a shame it works this way, and we’re beholden to the networks. The mobile market - especially in the U.K. - is too mature for this kind of exclusivity nonsense. As great as AW3 is, I can’t see many people switching to EE due to it - and I’m certainly not supporting them after their original consumer-hostile approach to 4G pricing.

Thoughts?

2. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

It won't work.
    Just like a verizon watch will work only on verizon network.

3. meikdunj macrumors regular

I’m sure won’t be long before other networks start offering the watch. I’m with Three and considered switching to EE but gong to wait. Until then I’ll manage with it connected to my phone.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

How would you even activate it? The watch app on your phone isn't going to list unsupported carriers and your unsupported carrier isn't going to know what to do with it.

5. KrisLord macrumors 68000

In the UK it’s an issue of network support rather than contractural exclusivity. So hopefully the other networks will add it soon.

I’m due to move to SIM only soon and EE aren’t cheap. I’m hoping someone else adds support

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Exactly. According to EE's CEO, they've been working with Apple for three years on e-SIM support.

Expect it to be a matter of years rather than months for the other networks to catch up... remember how long 4G took? And Visual Voicemail (which still only EE and O2 support even though it's been around since the original iPhone!), and Wi-Fi calling, too. The networks in the UK move at a glacial pace, if at all.

7. Taraba macrumors newbie

As far as I understand it, as soon as another provider has support for e-sim and is interested in providing service to Apple Watch owners tecnically, that new provider should pop up on list of available networks. It would be interested to know what would happen if one would take Apple Watch purchased in UK and tryed to activate it in Germany with provider that supports it.

8. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I would expect it to work. It is the same model number according to the Apple support article. Taking a US watch to Europe is a different story, however.