AW3 LTE. WiFi question.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by stevefo, Nov 2, 2017.

1. stevefo macrumors regular

stevefo

I noticed that my WiFi button on AW3 LTE is not blue (connected) when I’m not on a network.

Does it automatically turn on when it’s on a known WiFi network not in range of the phone? Or do I have to turn it on, on the AW3?

What I’m trying to ask is do I have to turn on WiFi on the Apple Watch or does it connect when it’s on a know network not in range of the phone?

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I never looked before your post.

Attached Files:

3. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

I’d like to know if it turns off (not blue) when your not connected to WiFi. I can’t check until I get home later today. Just curious

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Mine seems to only turn on and connect to known wifi when the watch goes out of bluetooth range from the phone, and then if there's no wifi it'll switch on LTE. It also seems to progress in reverse as I return.

I don't find any need to turn wifi on or off.

5. stevefo thread starter macrumors regular

stevefo

That’s what I thought. Thanks.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

I am so bad at the connectivity side of the watch. With the LTE I put it on and I am always connected one way or the other.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Since 4.1, I have been testing the Wi-Fi behavior. I find that if I disable Wi-Fi, I get about 35% more battery life. Just like disabling Cellular. When I have my phone around I disable both and as of today my battery can last about 18 hours in a very active day. On a slow day, I can actually get almost 2 full days before charging.

Note: No streaming Music as that really kills the battery.

Dave

8. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Interesting. On any typical day 4AM to 930PM I am usually at 35-50% battery when I put it on the charger at night.

I will have to see how 4.1 is.

9. cenetti macrumors 6502

I don't think my wifi toggle is working. When I am out on LTE ( no phone ) I disable wifi and a minute later it turns blue again. If blue is = connected ... what is it connecting to ? I am in the middle of the park with no wifi around ??

I restarted it, same thing. I can't really disable wifi ....