AW3 - suddenly HR only in workout

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Hello
my brand new AW3 (gps) suddenly stopped showing continuous HR values. I cannot even force it to measure it manually - it says “measuring”but green leds are not lit and no value is returned.
What is strange - workout seems to be working good - I can see hr there.
I have already tried unpairing, setting as new, setting from backup... no go.

I do not want to return it because this problem seems to be sw related (fix possible).
Anyone seeing that too?
(All setting are fine - hr was working good for 3 days)

Update: it seems that background hr is measured - I can see new values.
It’s obly that I cannot measure on demand - always gets stuck on “measuring” and no green led is lit

Last edited:

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Have you performed a hard reset or at least powered down and back on?
Yes, 4 times, I have also tried:
1. Unpairing and restoring from backup - 3 times
2. Unpairing and setting as new - 1 time

No go

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Try the watch on the other wrist.
Nothing.
The watch does not blink the green leds when I enter HR app.
Could you check whether yours use green less for this measurement - please enter the HR app and check whether green is blinking when the watch takes the measure?

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Ok that’s odd. I have returned the silver one and got me space gray nike version.
After setting up as new i have the same problem!

WTH?
I enter the hr app and the watch starts measuring but leds are not switching on and after a while I get hr icon with round arrow (restart option).
Any ideas?
Seems like my iPhone is causing the issue - I do not believe that I got 2 faulty devices....

Senfinger

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017
I'm on my third one, coming this week... I would believe it = )
1)Hardware Issue (Was unable to work via wifi) Apple confirmed and told me to return.
2) Screen Dimple (Lower Left of Screen/In between OLED and Screen)
3) Praying for one that works... LOL

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I'm on my third one, coming this week... I would believe it = )
1)Hardware Issue (Was unable to work via wifi) Apple confirmed and told me to return.
2) Screen Dimple (Lower Left of Screen/In between OLED and Screen)
3) Praying for one that works... LOL
I will try to pair with my wife’s phone to rule the iPhone conf out...
Damn...

Reactions: Senfinger

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
Hello
my brand new AW3 (gps) suddenly stopped showing continuous HR values. I cannot even force it to measure it manually - it says “measuring”but green leds are not lit and no value is returned.
Same problem here – all apps that read the heart rate (e.g. workout, breathe) work fine, but measuring on demand with the HR app does not even turn on the LEDs and always ends up with a heart rate refresh symbol. Currently waiting to see whether WatchOS 4.1 resolves the issue.

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Same problem here – all apps that read the heart rate (e.g. workout, breathe) work fine, but measuring on demand with the HR app does not even turn on the LEDs and always ends up with a heart rate refresh symbol. Currently waiting to see whether WatchOS 4.1 resolves the issue.
Finally I’m not alone:)
I have confirmed that this is iPhone-related.
I have just paired the same watch to my wife’s phone - all good.

Reactions: Senfinger

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
What’s your iPhone model and iOS ver?
I’m on 7 plus (11.0.3)

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
Mine is a 6s+ with 11.0.3, nothing special. I think the problem occurred after (a) updating to watchOS 4.0.1 and/or (b) using a Bluetooth heart strap (disconnected since), so it may be related to either of these. If I set up the watch as "new" (i.e., without restoring from a backup) from my iPhone, the problem persists. Will try setting up the watch from a second iPhone; hope this problem will be fixed in watchOS 4.1.

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Mine is a 6s+ with 11.0.3, nothing special. I think the problem occurred after (a) updating to watchOS 4.0.1 and/or (b) using a Bluetooth heart strap (disconnected since), so it may be related to either of these. If I set up the watch as "new" (i.e., without restoring from a backup) from my iPhone, the problem persists. Will try setting up the watch from a second iPhone; hope this problem will be fixed in watchOS 4.1.
I have not used hr strap so we can rule that out.
I suspected also 11.0.3

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Ok that’s enough. Now it stopped doing background measurements all of the sudden...
WTH is going on with sw quality?
Apple stuff was rock solid...
Now my iPhone is freezing, Apple TV keeps rebooting, watch is not doing it’s main fitness function...
Stability was one of the main reasons I moved to Apple many years ago...

Edit: just after posting this post, all started working again. On demand measurement included! :)
I did not change anything so go figure what’s going on...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sdtrent

Doebldodl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2004
Germany
Same with me - HR measurements in HR app and workout app now work fine again. Did not change anything either. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!

betono

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Same with me - HR measurements in HR app and workout app now work fine again. Did not change anything either. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!
Yeah, it would suggest that the problem was related to iCloud?????
I’m so glad that I didn’t wipe the phone, as Apple support told me :D
It’s so funny - watch does not work properly because of the iPhone issue -> solution: wipe the iPhone. I have asked: maybe I can provide logs to nail the problem... noooooo, you must have clean iOS install :))))))

Troubleshooting ver 3.0 :)