AW3 to AW4, but why?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ivanwi11iams, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Smoothie macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, that's not the battery catching fire.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2018 ---
    Tim Cook just called me to say your commission check is in the mail. But it's only redeemable at an Apple store. :apple:

2. hipsheik macrumors regular

Going to wait for prices to come down on eBay.

I think it’s a worthwhile upgrade from AW3 for the screen, but not at full price.

3. BadMonkey macrumors newbie

Got my first AW, the S3 in June or July as an open box from Best Buy at a really great price compared to new retail at the time. I upgraded to S4 using the money from sale of my S3 and chipping in the rest.

Figured this was the most I'll ever be able to recoup for my S3 considering Apple's price drop, and waiting for the S5 would cost more out of pocket next year compared to now. I'm all about the now.

The pros listed over the previous 3 pages make it worth it, I couldn't be happier.

4. chanerz macrumors 65816

Had the S3 and upgraded to S4. So fast and has big screen.

5. Ffosse macrumors 68000

That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to build myself up again after cancer. I think I'll wear the AW on my right wrist for activity and one of my nice watches on my left for telling the time. I needn't look at the AW until after my activity.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Why not just look at the AW for the time? It’s very capable and there’s so many faces to choose from.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But didn’t that Member just say they would look at their nice watch for telling the time? I’m sure they realize they can look at the Apple watch for telling the time. Point is behind that post, its actually _not_ that uncommon for someone to wear one watch on one wrist and the Apple Watch on the other with Activity tracking.

8. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

This alone makes me stay on S3 and wait for next year....

9. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68020

KarimLeVallois

I’ve been alternating between a Series 4 Hermès and my Series 3 ceramic to see if it is worth upgrading. Here are my observations.

1) Yeah, the screen is a bonus (love the Hermès two-tone Watch face) and nice to be able to have so many complications on screen when using the other watch faces.
    2) The speed difference for me wasn’t really that noticeable for what I did on a daily basis.
    3) ECG doesn’t look like it’ll be available in the UK for this series at least.
    4) Fall detection isn’t something I need, hopefully.
    5) I actually didn’t like the new Digital Crown, felt stiff and the haptic feedback felt fake, rather than adding to the feel. They could easily add this feature to previous generations as it’s obviously coming from the case itself.
    6) Speaker power was never an issue for me as I’d only ever use them inside anyway.
    7) Not 100% sold on the bubble look, reminds me of the Pebble Time and the curves in the sapphire on the corners reflects daylight more, so harder to see the complications there anyway.

All in all, still torn, but may wait until the Series 5.

10. newellj macrumors 604

Minor note - because it's not a "watch" for me, I have raise to wake turned off, which I think must help battery life.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2018 ---
    You're absolutely right in terms of function. But to me, it just isn't a timepiece. I realize I'm probably a dinosaur, but I like having a mechanical watch on my wrist. It's an irrational, personal preference. :)

11. teralpar macrumors member

I think I’m having “aluminum anxiety” as well. I have an gold aluminum on order (hopefully I’ll get it sometime this week) and I have an SS AW3. I just couldn’t justify paying at least $700 for another SS, but I just had to have the AW 4 for the bigger screen.

12. newellj macrumors 604

Yeah, it would be that. :D

Interesting post about the HR monitor. I had super results with the S3 but some people (you being one of them) did not. I wear the Watch fairly tight, and don't have much hair on my wrist - wonder if those help?

Have you had any issues knocking the Watch against weights or other machinery?

13. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

Same here i sold my SS S3 for S4 alum... i kept returning the aluminum gps haha
    I really want the stainless but i cant swallow the price...
    Will wait for nike gps if i really want aluminum
    Im liking the silver aluminum gps than the space grey...
    Im bored with space grey color....

14. jsmitty macrumors 6502

jsmitty

When/where did you get $325 from Apple for series 3?

15. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Most I’ve seen them give for any size S3 stainless was $250. The aluminum was $225. They don’t buy the bands so that doesn’t add anything to the value. I’m curious how he got $325 from Apple as well.

16. magbarn macrumors 68000

Make sure you're either: super careful, don't mind scratches on the glass, or have AppleCare. I tried the aluminum AW a couple generations ago and the glass is just too soft for me. Most of my friends with Aluminum watches either use some kind of protection or don't care if scratched...

Weird that you got $325 for yours, I only got $250 for mine
    I also did the trade in as I get to keep an extra charging cable for my office and I get to keep the $150 SS loop band that I would've had to sell on ebay/swappa with the S3. Not to mention risks of fraud added.

17. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I went to a 4 from a 3 and I love the bigger screen plus the fact that the new one is thinner and lays closer to my wrist.

18. ReardenMetal macrumors regular

ReardenMetal

How did you set up your Apple trade in? Did you confirm it online in your cart? Was it a pure walk-in transaction and purchase? I’d like to buy for in-store pick up, add the trade in to my cart and then take care of it at the store. Seems like that’s possible, but I’ve seen conflicting reports.

19. auburnfan24 macrumors regular

I too made the jump - great decision IMO ... bigger screen and noticeable speed improvements. I did go from LTE to non LTE - I never used it. also (and I am not sure if this is just with the S4 or with watchOS 5) but I can now connect to my work enterprise wifi - which is huge for me.

Overall - the screen size and speed improvements have been well worth it in the few days I have had it. I am happy with my decision!

Note -I traded my S3 back to apple for $225. the only bites I got when trying to sell it were all around $190 - 200...

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Never once. Not sure how people can hit their watch with weights unless they’re doing kettlebell overhead presses.

21. ReardenMetal macrumors regular

ReardenMetal

Think he’s in Canada. That probably explains the discrepancy in trade-in value.

22. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Oh that would make sense. Saw the $ and just thought American currency.

23. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I'm the same - I feel naked unless my Monaco or Carrera is on my wrist. I even wear them in bed.

I do have a Tissot Solar Touch Expert also which, although quartz, has an interesting range of features, my favourite is Meteo which unfailingly let's me know whether it's going to rain or not. It's my favourite "app" on any of my watches.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    This is what I intend to do. The AW can be quite unobtrusive at times. It's no thicker than my Monaco.

24. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I agree with this. It's a massive upgrade.