AW4 battery drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kai36, Oct 16, 2018.

1. kai36 macrumors newbie

I just got my series 4 last Friday and I really love it. I have been using it for sleep tracking with Pillow. Usually the battery drops 10% over night, which is fine. But this morning I woke up to 6% where I actually fully charged before bed. I was trying to identify the root cause but the apple watch app doesnt tell much. I can see the active use is 2 hours and standby time 7h after last full charge.

I am wondering anybody else is experiencing the same issue?

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Been wearing the watch since about 9 in the morning and now it’s 1 in the morning the next day. So that’s about 16 hours with about 3 hours of constant music and data / cellular connection usage today and the watch is still at 40%

[​IMG]

3. ipaddaro macrumors regular

did you use infograph face all the time?

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Sounds like you have a runaway third party app. That's not normal.
    I wear my watch for sleep tracking, but I stopped using Pillow about 18 months ago because I found it to be buggy when syncing sleep data to the phone.
    Recently I have been using AutoSleep, and I'm happy with it.

5. ipaddaro macrumors regular

i’m using autosleep and heartwatch since 3 day... tonight i monitored tha battery conumption and with Airplane mode on AW4 the battery loss was 19% in 8 hours (wearing the watch while sleeping i mean) is it normal?

i stopped using autowake (actually i used it only once) because it consumed 60% iphone battery during night (it requires constant connection between AW and iphone in order to to work) and the support told me it is normal.

6. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I haven't tried autowake, but that would be a deal breaker.

I generally put the watch on theater mode, silent, and do not disturb for sleep. I don't put it into airplane mode though. If I go to sleep with it charged at 100%, the battery is generally around 80% after 7-8 hours when I get up.

7. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I also use AutoSleep as well as Sleep Watch as I like the data both provide. With AW 2 I'd lose about the same 10-15% overnight. With AW 4 I seem to be losing a little more than that, maybe in the 10-20% range. I should note that I restored the same settings from AW 2 to AW 4. I have minimal apps running in the background, raise to wake is off-I prefer wake to crown.

Last night I disabled "Auto Detect Gym Equipment" setting in hopes it gets me more battery life. I think this is a new feature in Watch OS 5. It's too early to tell if that's had an impact, though I suspect it will. After 8 hours of sleep, I woke up with 84% battery. I can live with that.

I do wish Apple would provide more information in Usage as to what is consuming battery life.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I hadn't thought about disabling "Auto Detect Gym Equipment," but I'm going to go ahead and disable it since I don't need that feature anyway.

9. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Cool, let's compare notes on whether or not we think this setting change has an impact. I'm going to give it at least a week. Fingers crossed, hoping it helps. I certainly don't think it can hurt.

10. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yeah

11. macophile90 macrumors newbie

Today i also experienced a huge battery drain for the first time since i bought the AW4. I was just sitting in class doing nothing with the watch (not even LTE was enabled) while the battery drained from 50% to 0% within just 1 hour. This started at 5pm. Strangely, from 6am to 5pm with listening to stored music, podcasts and answering a lot of messages, the watch just lost around 50% battery.

Anyone has a clue what the problem could be?

12. Koshkaboo macrumors member

Koshkaboo

I had a battery drain problem last night. I charged it almost to full battery while I was reading in bed. My watch woke me up this morning telling me it was at 10% battery! This is not typical. Usually I don't use much battery during night.

Anyway - the interesting thing was that my watch said I had met my 12 hour stand goal as it met for every hour of the night. Also I burned over 500 active move minutes! And, no, I didn't get up and walk around while I was sleeping.

Oh that is another thing. It said I had over 700 steps but I had only walked a little bit (100 steps would be pushing it) before I went to sleep.

I did turn the power off and restart and it has been normal since then.

13. blwade macrumors 6502a

Did/do you have the 38/40 or the 42/44?

I had the 42 series 2 and now have 44 series 4. Both aluminum, neither cellular...

HeartWatch is one of only 3 external apps I use (credit card app and hue being the other 2). I use info graphic watch face, have brightness as low as it can be with regular haptic. I’ve turned off auto detect gym equipment, but raise to wake/Siri is still on. When I go to bed, DND is replicated from my phone to my watch and I turn on theatre mode.

I had the same settings (minus using info graph watch face) on my series 2.

Overnight, my series 2 would drain 1 or maybe 2 % (overnight bring somewhere around 7-8 hours). My series 4 has drained anywhere from 2-8% (seems to be getting better the last few nights being closer to the 2% end)

I’ve never had my watch drain as much as others are saying here overnight.

And just to be clear - AutoSleep does NOT run anything on your watch. It takes normal readings from your watch in the morning and calculates your sleep based on your heart rate and movement data your watch is already collecting. AutoSleep will NOT cause any battery drain.

14. ipaddaro macrumors regular

update: tonight 14% drop in 8 hours. airplane mode. only autosleep "running" (i understood it actually does nothing)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    it think it actually takes reading all night long, if you happen to open it during night it is constatly updated and not only at the end of sleep cycle. i also think it does nothing special, but it works all night.

15. Cervontez macrumors newbie

I’m experiencing major battery drain. Went from a series 3 to 4.

I sleep with my watch. My day starts at 5:30am, gym at 6am, home around 7:30 then off to work. Around 9pm my series 3 would be around 50%. Same routine with the series 4 and I’m at 25% around 6:30pm. I’m not using it more or no new apps. Only thing different is using the Infograph watch face.

I would only charge my series 3 while taking a shower before bed. 30 minutes is usually enough to get from 50% to 100% so it’s fully charged for bed. Series 4 takes longer to charge. Almost seems double. I had to charge to about 80% around 6:30pm to keep my night schedule.

There is something not right with the series 4 battery. I’m hoping it’s a bug.

16. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

I had Series 2 42mm and have moved to Series 4 44mm, both aluminum GPS only just as you have. When I first got my Series 4, it was dropping significantly more than I was accustomed to seeing with my 42mm. That said, I don't recall what the battery life was when I first got Series 2. I received my Series 4 on the 17th and within a week's time, battery life certainly has improved. It was in the 80% range upon wake with 100% charge during the first several days but I'm now waking up with 90% or better in just over a week's time.

I've read the same about AutoSleep's means of collecting data. I believe SleepWatch works in the same fashion. I'm running both apps.

17. menace3 macrumors 6502a

menace3

I would suggest rebooting it. The first couple of days wer elike this for me when I received my watch. Apps and such were still installing. Since reboot, I've worked out for 2 straight hours at wearing at work, lunch time walk and such. I usually end at 60% when I head to bed.

18. Koshkaboo macrumors member

Koshkaboo

On the night that I had battery drain neither of the 2 apps that I use to monitor sleep recorded any sleep. They had me awaking and moving the entire night (hence all the active minutes). However, in reality, I was asleep. Hope this gets fixed with 5.1.

19. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

If you had them running, I would think one of them might actually be to blame for the battery usage.

20. Koshkaboo macrumors member

Koshkaboo

I don't think so as they have run every night from the almost the first day since I got the Watch. Normally I have very little battery drain overnight. It was just this one night and it is obvious and clear it was because the watch thought I was being active.

21. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

If an app was acting up, it could have caused problems. I have recently started to force quit all apps, even my sleep tracker, before bed.

22. Koshkaboo macrumors member

Koshkaboo

Maybe. But it was just the one night and I am still doing sleep tracking. Anyway maybe 5.1 will fix the problem which others unable also had. We’ll see.