AW4 Digial crown loud clicking and moves QUICK!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jhill-evans, Oct 16, 2018.

1. jhill-evans macrumors regular

I had a SSS S4 on release date for nearly two weeks but it was damaged so was returned for a replacement.

I picked up a replacement today and the crown seems a lot more loose (rolls very loosely and quickly) and also when I press it it’s a very tacky loud “click” I don’t remember this with my first one and my S0 and S3 don’t have this sound.

Am I looking into this to much or has anyone else noticed the same? I’ll try and go to a store before my 14 days and test the display ones.

2. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

If the room is completely silent, I hear a slight clicking when depressing the crown on my S4 that is quieter than clicking the home button on my iPad Air 2.
    As far as the crown rolling, my issue in the past has been it getting dirty after a few months and needing to be rinsed to turn smoothly.

It's all relative, so I'd say compare it to the ones on display at the Apple Store like you mentioned.

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

I turned off the crown haptics. I’ve no idea why anyone thought it was a good idea in the first place.

4. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I like them, but they need to tweak the implementation. They need to sync with the UI elements a little better in some places. However, haptics would seem to have nothing to do with this thread.

5. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

I switched to a Nike model after returning my launch model. Immediately noticed my Nike model exhibits a smoother scroll when turning the Digital Crown. Launch unit had much more friction. It’s not a problem but does suggest some variability across units.

6. jhill-evans thread starter macrumors regular

Well it’s interesting because my launch device I LOVED the haptic feedback but with this one I don’t like it.. it feels to loose. (That’s the best way I can describe it)

7. WilliamG macrumors G3

Maybe mine’s defective then. When scrolling with haptics on it’s really audible in a quiet room. And the “pop” sound when scrolling to the end of a menu is audible easily.

8. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

The haptic motor is not in the crown itself, and it doesn't click when you press the crown. Someone just wanted to share their option about haptics in your thread.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2018 ---
    Non of that is what the first post was about, though.

9. WilliamG macrumors G3

Fair enough. I compared my 44 to my wife’s 38. Both are the same. Both make a reasonably loud click when the crown is depressed.