AW4 GPS difference with/without phone

jclaydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
I have an AW4 GPS only edition, which I use for running with just Apple Workout. I predominately run without my iPhone 8, and get pretty good GPS connection and distance tracking (used in many races). When I do bring the phone along however the GPS seems to go haywire - measuring a lot shorter overall distances. Checking the route maps I can see a lot of issues tracking my exact route.

This seems to be similar to an issue highlighted in another thread with the AW5 LTE.

Has anyone else had the same problems? Any potential solutions? Or is it just a case of disabling Bluetooth on the iPhone when bringing along to disconnect from the AW?

Thanks

Last edited:

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
I have an AW4 GPS only edition, which I use for running with just Apple Workout. I predominately run without my iPhone 8, and get pretty good GPS connection and distance tracking (used in many races). When I do bring the phone along however the GPS seems to go haywire - measuring a lot shorter overall distances. Checking the route maps I can see a lot of issues tracking my exact route.

This seems to be similar to an issue highlighted in another thread with the AW5 LTE.

Has anyone else had the same problems? Any potential solutions? Or is it just a case of disabling Bluetooth on the iPhone when bringing along to disconnect from the AW?

Thanks
I have the same thing with my S5 LTE. If I bring my iPhone 11 Pro Max and it's connected to my watch (which means GPS is used from the phone) my track is complete garbage and unusable. If I run with just my watch the track is basically spot on.

When your watch is connected to your iPhone then the phones GPS is used to track. When not connected to your iPhone then the GPS is tracked from your watch. If I need to bring my iPhone I turn Bluetooth and WiFi off on my watch that way I can still use my Airpods Pro for music from my iPhone.

Reactions: jclaydon

jclaydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks. Is there a difference between turning WiFi and Bluetooth off from the watch rather than the iPhone? Is it simply to allow your Airpods to still connect to the phone?

bp328i

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2019
Thanks. Is there a difference between turning WiFi and Bluetooth off from the watch rather than the iPhone? Is it simply to allow your Airpods to still connect to the phone?
No difference that I know of, I do it watch side so my Airpods can still connect to my phone.

Reactions: jclaydon