AW4 raise to speak fails sometimes

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by victormorenos, Oct 20, 2018.

1. victormorenos macrumors member

victormorenos

Hey!

I just bought AW4 and I though it's awesome!

I was using series 3 with wOS 5 beta and raise to speak used to work fine. But now, using the Series 4 it detects my voice better, but, after it recognizes what I said and show my request on screen it vibrates and gets back to watch face and nothing happens. I have to try again 2 or 3 times to get it worked through raise to speak.

BUT, if I use "Hey siri" command she understands me everytime and all commands work perfecly.

Is this a bug?

2. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

If it’s recognizing your voice, it doesn’t seem like it’s an issue with raise to speak. It sounds like it’s going off the rails after that.

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Have you tried restarting?

It worked too well for me on my S4, as Siri tried to respond every time I was talking to someone and looked at my watch. I actually had to turn it off.

4. dstew201 macrumors 6502

dstew201

Strange, raise to speak worked flawlessly on my aluminum AW, not so great on my current SS AW!

It's hit or miss,I'm nearly 3 inches away from watch and no response on some occasions!!

5. cmaier macrumors G5

6. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

I have exactly the same issue.
    It detects my voice, even what I’m saying, vibrates, and then goes back to watchface. Restart didn’t help. Frustrating!!

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Mine was fine until today. Then today there were a few occasions when I experienced the exact same problem.

8. ulfertg macrumors newbie

ulfertg

Same issue here with the german version, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Another issue: raise to speak is sensitive to wording. "Timer auf fünf Minuten" works with Siri on all other devices, but not on my watch when I use raise to speak. When I use "Hey Siri" though it recognizes the phrase.

Super frustrating!

9. victormorenos thread starter macrumors member

victormorenos

Thank you everybody for describing all your experience with raise to speak.

Now I think it looks to be a bug and it must be fixed in the next dews updates.

Restarting Or resetting AWs4 didn’t solve the problem!!!

10. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

It works great for me. Just takes practice I guess

11. WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

Takes practice talking does it? No, it clearly does not work 100%. For me it’s more like 70-75% so far, definitely could be a bit more reliable. Just tried it 3 times and it worked 2 out of the 3.

12. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

For me it worked 100% of the time, in that Siri heard me every time I was talking and looked at the watch. I just wasn't talking to her every time, so I turned not off.

If you want to use it, the key is to talk immediately if not sooner. It seems like people who wait to speak are the ones who have trouble activating it.

13. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

It was only working 70% of the time for me so I changed my approach and because the microphone is near the crown, I now raise my wrist and speak to the crown rather than the face so in other words slightly off centre. Works 100% of the time now

14. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

It does pick up the words. It just doesn't process the command.

15. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Sorry but I haven't had any issues with Siri not processing my commands.

16. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

lol "takes practice". I love when there are bugs that not everybody gets, so people assume because they don't experience a bug, that it can't be real and someone is just doing it wrong.

Next we'll be holding our watch wrong, just like the iPhone 4. My wifes Samsung never exploded. Those other people were using their phones wrong.

17. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

I actually think they were trying to be helpful. When people say something works for them, at least you know it works.

A discussion about what they might be doing differently to use the feature than you could prove helpful.

18. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Nicely put. We are not gloating. We are just saying that either we are not having the same issues so its not universal or that we have found a work around. I find these forums a really useful tool for information whether good things or bad.

19. WhiteHawk, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018

WhiteHawk macrumors 6502

WhiteHawk

I am talking immediately, it just fails to respond sometimes, and occasionally when it does change the screen to the one that transcribes what you said ready to respond it will even crash back to the watch face. Watch OS 5 has more bugs then previous versions I’ve used, at least more visible ones to me, I feel like they grabbed a few people from the Watch OS team to help make sure that iOS 12 wasn’t as buggy as 11.

Edit: Just came across another thread about this issue, seems widespread enough that Apple should tweak things to make it work better, but someone there mentioned it not working because of How you raise your wrist to your mouth that could be the culprit in at least some of these failures. I’m going to do a bit of testing to see but quite frankly if it’s so picky about how you move your arm I don’t know how much I’ll use it.

20. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I would say it's 50/50 for me. It does recognize "Hey Siri" 100% of the time.

21. MacBird macrumors 6502a

I gave up on 'raise to speak' and always start with 'hey Siri' which always works.