Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCookieMonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2014
Hi.

Can someone confirm if I am overlooking the difference between these two versions please? I have checked the Apple Website but know they don't always list all specs (like memory) so want to make sure I have the full picture.

As I understand it AW5 will have the always on screen, a second-generation optical heart sensor (although not sure what difference there is???), and ECG.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
I think I saw a review somewhere that stated that the SE basically is a Apple Watch 4 without the ECG and Apple essentially is selling an older model for a higher price or something along those lines.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Does it? Interesting. Just got an SE and didn't realize this. Then again, I live in Ohio so.... I'm always at the same elevation.
Heh.

I think the always on altimeter would be great for hikers and bikers etc. It’s certainly much more useful than the 6’s O2 sensor, despite the fact that so many YouTubers and review sites are emphasizing that as a differentiating feature.

The problem is that while both the altimeter and the O2 sensor can be inaccurate at times, the O2 actually requires accuracy much more to be of any usefulness.

I think I saw a review somewhere that stated that the SE basically is a Apple Watch 4 without the ECG and Apple essentially is selling an older model for a higher price or something along those lines.
That is incorrect too. The SE shares the S5 SiP with the Watch Series 5, vs. S4 in the Series 4. Also like the Series 5, it comes with 32 GB storage. The Series 4 has 16 GB storage.

OTOH, the SE shares the slimmer design with the 6 series, as it is thinner than both the Series 5 and 4.

Reactions: QCassidy352

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
That is incorrect too. The SE shares the S5 SiP with the Watch Series 5, vs. S4 in the Series 4. Also like the Series 5, it comes with 32 GB storage. The Series 4 has 16 GB storage.

OTOH, the SE shares the slimmer design with the 6 series, as it is thinner than both the Series 5 and 4.

I think the point the reviewer made was that the S5 chip was no improvement over the S4 chip for some reason. Not more powerful, only less power consuming for the always on or something? Regardless he concluded that a sealed but discounted Series 5 would be better bang for the money than the SE or something along those lines.

I don't really care that much, thats why i don't fully remember. Waiting on my S6 right now as my first ever Apple Watc because i just wanted everything and it's basically free (apple store credit + health insurance funding some)

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think the point the reviewer made was that the S5 chip was no improvement over the S4 chip for some reason. Not more powerful, only less power consuming for the always on or something? Regardless he concluded that a sealed but discounted Series 5 would be better bang for the money than the SE or something along those lines.

Yeah, some claim the CPU/GPU of S5 is the same as S4, but there are other improvements in S5.

While I agree that at the same price, a Watch Series 5 is a better value than the Watch SE, mainly because of the Series 5's always-on-display, unfortunately I have not been able to find the Series 5 at anywhere near the same price as the SE. Most places are still significantly more expensive than the SE.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Yes, the SE has some features of the 4, some of the 5, and some of the 6. It’s not just a rebrand of any one prior model.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah, some claim the CPU/GPU of S5 is the same as S4, but there are other improvements in S5.

While I agree that at the same price, a Watch Series 5 is a better value than the Watch SE, mainly because of the Series 5's always-on-display, unfortunately I have not been able to find the Series 5 at anywhere near the same price as the SE. Most places are still significantly more expensive than the SE.
Spoke too soon. :p All of a sudden there was a Cyber Monday sale today at Staples (Canada) on the Series 5. They were out of the GPS-only model but they had a great deal on the GPS + cellular and I had a store discount as well, so I ordered that. I'll have to return the SEs I have on order.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Series 5 would be better bang for the money than the SE or something along those lines.

Personally, I would just opt for the SE. The only way I would suggest a Series 5, if somebody was set on having stainless and AOD, but the SE is priced competitively, where it’s the clear choice other than the above aforementioned.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
Personally, I would just opt for the SE. The only way I would suggest a Series 5, if somebody was set on having stainless and AOD, but the SE is priced competitively, where it’s the clear choice other than the above aforementioned.
I actually did a search yesterday and found a cellular series 5 sealed for 300€. If you keep your eyes open there are deals on S5. You just can't be in a position of "i have to buy asap right now need new shiny thing".

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I actually did a search yesterday and found a cellular series 5 sealed for 300€. If you keep your eyes open there are deals on S5. You just can't be in a position of "i have to buy asap right now need new shiny thing".
Yeah. I bought SE for a very good deal in a Black Friday sale, but on Cyber Monday I was able to order the Series 5 40 mm cellular for CAD$425 / US$328 / €274 plus tax. That’s brand new and from a major national retailer.

Even though it’s more than I paid for the 40 mm GPS SE, I couldn’t pass up the Series 5 cellular at that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.