Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeresPeter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Hi,
I was thinking of buying the MacBook Pro right now but heard there is a new one coming out soon with Ivy Bridge. I'd like a bit of help estimating the cost of the new 13 inch since they replaced HDD with SSD, so I'm assuming the laptop will be more expensive. I live in Australia and the price of Mac Pros have been stable and I hope it doesn't dramatically increase due to SSDs.
I'm a university student so I'm just looking for a MacPro with alright price.
Should I buy now if the price of the new MacPros are going to be too expensive?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
That's actually two questions horrible packaged into one and you've walked into what appears to be some weird cyclical logical fallacy. No one knows if the 2012 models will be more expensive. The 2011 MBP will become CHEAPER when the 2012 models come out, even if they are more expensive.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
Hi,
I was thinking of buying the MacBook Pro right now but heard there is a new one coming out soon with Ivy Bridge. I'd like a bit of help estimating the cost of the new 13 inch since they replaced HDD with SSD, so I'm assuming the laptop will be more expensive. I live in Australia and the price of Mac Pros have been stable and I hope it doesn't dramatically increase due to SSDs.

We don't know if Apple is going to replace the HDD with a SSD. Everything you read until they're actually launched is just rumours.

It's highly likely that the 2012 MacBook Pros will cost the same as the 2011 models, or if not, will have a very slight increase in price.

If you're looking for a cheap MacBook, try the Apple refurb store, or buy a 2011 model when the 2012s come out.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Hi,

very interesting thread, I cant believe this hasnt been asked yet because I have been dying to answer this question.

The price will be $250 USD more, it will actually have 2 SSDs and a complimentary back scratcher. This new MBP will be 100 times faster than crappy sandy bridge, it will be so fast that facebook will load before you even type the F, it will also have 32GB of RAM and a cup holder

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
very interesting thread, I cant believe this hasnt been asked yet because I have been dying to answer this question.

The price will be $250 USD more, it will actually have 2 SSDs and a complimentary back scratcher. This new MBP will be 100 times faster than crappy sandy bridge, it will be so fast that facebook will load before you even type the F, it will also have 32GB of RAM and a cup holder

A cup holder? This is a good idea, but I am sure people will complain that it should be replaced with a bigger battery or better GPU.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
The retractable cup holder on my work windows desktop PC broke the first time I put my coffee cup on it. I just pressed the button, it came out and when I placed my cup on it , it broke. Must be the lower quality of Windows PCs???

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
The retractable cup holder on my work windows desktop PC broke the first time I put my coffee cup on it. I just pressed the button, it came out and when I placed my cup on it , it broke. Must be the lower quality of Windows PCs???

yes those crappy plastic windows cup holders suck, aluminum is the only way to go

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010

I tried this with my old PC and the cup holder retracted on its own, coffee went everywhere. Why can't Windows based computers ever be any good? :(

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
I tried this with my old PC and the cup holder retracted on its own, coffee went everywhere. Why can't Windows based computers ever be any good? :(

I'm not sure MacBooks are all they're cracked up to be either. For a start, the bread wouldn't even fit into the so called "super" drive (yeah right). After a few minutes of forcing it, it started to whir and flash red - all signs of a good laser toaster right? Wrong. The bread came out after 5 minutes completely untoasted and ripped to shreds and now the whole £1000 machine just broke? Freaking useless.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Now Im really confused. I have a windows PC at work and I just searched the whole thing, I even un plugged it and checked the back, and I dont have a cup holder? What model do you have? Maybe mine was from before the cupholder option was added... OK fine so since my work computer is older its missing the cup holder.

But then!!!!!

I checked my mac at home and its nice and new, and NO cup holder either. I think I got defective units or something. After work I am taking it to the apple store and I am going to insist that they give me a model with the cup holder.

roofz

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2012
Southern California
thread had me chuckling until...

Now Im really confused. I have a windows PC at work and I just searched the whole thing, I even un plugged it and checked the back, and I dont have a cup holder? What model do you have? Maybe mine was from before the cupholder option was added... OK fine so since my work computer is older its missing the cup holder.

But then!!!!!

I checked my mac at home and its nice and new, and NO cup holder either. I think I got defective units or something. After work I am taking it to the apple store and I am going to insist that they give me a model with the cup holder.

Callumbear845

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2011
I'm fairly sure that the cup holder on my PC is broken. When ever I press the open button, it opens. I put my drink on it, but after just about 1 minute it always shuts itself and spills my drink all over the table. The Mac Pro I use never has that problem. The cup holder stays out until I tell it to go back into the computer. And that is why I always buy Macs.

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
You see, the problem here is that most cup holders only hold up to 8GB. That is why they are breaking on you guys... The best drinks come in the 50GB variety and are clearly better. :p

neilpryde23

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
yes those crappy plastic windows cup holders suck, aluminum is the only way to go

Digitimes just reported that LiquidMetal has been shipping small quantities of coffee cup holders to Apple. According to their source, Venti sized cup holders will be released first with Grande and Tall sized cup holders in the following weeks. No word on Trenta sized yet. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.