Awaken

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by justflie, Jul 15, 2009.

1. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Hey guys,

Do any of you know if Embraceware's Awaken alarm clock is still in development? I had emailed some bugs and questions in months ago and haven't received any responses. This is unusual because I used to get responses within 24 hours, sometimes from Jerry (lead developer/owner) himself. I know that they were working on Awaken v5 but haven't heard any news on that since Feb 17, 2009.

2. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Last I heard it was. That's not conclusive proof, mind you, but Jerry has been a very active developer for a long time. If something had happened or if he had stopped development, I kind of feel like word would have gotten out. I imagine he's just knee deep in development and life.

Though you are correct that we haven't had an update for a bit now.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Jerry Brace posted here, in the comments that they are "finishing development." I can e-mail him to try to get a conclusive date if you would like?

4. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

If you'd like to, you can. I'm just happy to see that work is continuing. I love the product and there a couple of small bugs that I believe are being addressed in v5. I'm excited to hear about awaken for the iPhone. It will be interesting to see what kinds of features they can bring that will extend functionality beyond the simple, built-in alarm clock.

That being said, my guess is that they're going to release Awaken 5 for the Mac and the iPhone version thereof simultaneously. That's the only reason I can think of for that holdup. Exciting, regardless.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Most def. work is continuing. They were very adamant after TheMacFeed mentioned that the application seemed a little costly that it included the further update to Awaken 5.

6. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

huzzah. Some interesting features coming too, including the ability to boot a shut down computer at alarm time. That's pretty sweet although I don't see myself using it. One of the bugs to which I'm referring is that, when awaken starts the alarm (playing an iTunes playlist), it changes my playlist from shuffle to loop. Very annoying because then I go to play that list later and the songs start playing in alpha order. Then I have to go and change to shuffle just to have it go back to loop the next morning! Small bug, but an annoying one. If I remember correctly, I talked (emailed) with Jerry months ago about it and he said it would be fixed in v5.

7. reubs macrumors 68000

Awaken is a great program, and I'm excited to hear about continued development on it. I don't get to use it as much as I'd like, but when I do use it I really appreciate the features it has.

8. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

But is it better then Aurora? I have been thinking about this and its important since Aurora already has a boot wake funtion..

If the development is still there thats great for Awaken

9. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

not sure if it's better than Aurora as I've never used that software, but Awaken is at least cheaper with free upgrades for life.

10. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been wondering about v5 since February too. I use Awaken daily and it has a tendency to sporadically scramble my iTunes settings (as previously mentioned). The booting a shutdown Mac feature would have saved my bacon a time or two.. bring it on!

11. justflie thread starter macrumors 6502a

justflie

Cool feature coming: The iPhone version of Awaken and Awaken 5 will be able to sync with each other! I had the idea and suggested it to their support line. They responded and said they have already incorporated a sync function. Also, they mentioned that Awaken for the iPhone will be released before Awaken 5 for the Mac.