Awaking comp from Sleep ejects disc 2011 15" 2.5ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ant.honey, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Couldn't find anything using the search forums, but I imagine it must have been mentioned before.

New 2011 MBP used in clamshell mode primarily. Last night I put the computer to sleep with my Drobo connected. I wake it up this morning and it ejected the Drobo and I got that "This disc was not ejected properly" message. What gives and what's the fix? I can't have a 10tb loss because the OS is kicking the external drive off whenever it wakes up. Thanks.

2. Ant.honey thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running an SSD in my main drive. Do you think that maybe the SSD wakes the computer faster than the Drobo can react and because of this, the computer thinks the Drobo has been disconnected?

3. Ant.honey thread starter macrumors regular

Updated Drobo firmware. Still have this problem. Any ideas?
    I read on a Drobo forum that it may be due to hard drive imminent failure, but I don't think that is the case.

4. pfjellman, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

I'm having this same issue with a new USB 3.0 Mediasonic ProBox 4 bay enclosure on my 2012 MacBook Air. Other single drive enclosures work fine, but when I put my MacBook Air to sleep and then wake it up, get the error that the drive was not ejected properly, and all four hard drives from the ProBox are gone. I can't risk data loss or hard drive failure from improperly ejected disks every time I put my machine to sleep!

Even more frustrating, I have to unplug and re-plug in the USB cable 3-10 times before the drives mount on the desktop again, they don't just come back on their own.

I will be speaking with Mediasonic's tech support Monday morning, and I will update this post if I learn anything useful.

Meanwhile, has anyone else had issues with multi-bay drives when waking up from sleep on Lion? Thanks in advance for any advice!