Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

German company brezzl today announced it is now accepting pre-orders for its Cablewings cable management solution for Apple power adapters.

cablewings.jpg
Cablewings

Cablewings are small plastic pieces that attach to an Apple power adapter and have small spikes that can hold a wrapped up power cord. They are compatible with Apple's USB-C power adapters for all 2015 and later MacBook and 2016 and later MacBook Pro models, and they also work with Apple's iPad and iPhone chargers.

The product is inspired by Apple's older Mac power adapters that used to have pop-out cable holders. Apple's latest USB-C power adapters for MacBooks no longer have this feature, as the power cord is no longer affixed to the charger.

apple-power-adapter.jpg
Apple's previous Mac power adapters with pop-out cable holders

Cablewings are a simple but useful product, especially for those who travel, and recently received a 2018 Red Dot Design Award in Germany. They are a rather pricy $18 each or available in a two-pack for $30 in the United States, with prices varying in other countries. Orders are estimated to begin shipping in June.

Article Link: Award-Winning Cablewings Add Power Cord Storage Back to Your Mac's Charger

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Apple used to be known for getting the details right. Now with Cook at the helm they just remove the details for profit. I guess there is a reason it is hard for companies to keep to their brand identity after founders leave. Apple is no exception, it happened with Scully and with Cook. Hopefully, Cook won't last much longer.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Hopefully, Cook won't last much longer.

Apple has never been as profitable as it has been under Cook's guidance. From everything I've read customer satisfaction is also good. So I don't think he's going away.

However, I do completely agree with you. Apple seems more full of themselves lately and the penny-pinching measures are getting to be a bit much.

Last edited:

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Something Apple should have incorporated on the new power supply from day one... just another of those head scratchers that a 3rd party needs to jump in and fix basic design issues.

Reactions: heffsf

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
As a 2013 MacBook Pro owner, this is the first time I'm hearing that Apple removed cord storage from the adapters.

WTF!

This is more angering than when I found out they stopped including the extension cable in their MBPs and you have to buy it separately.

Edit: and I've never had fraying or a broken charger in 20 years as a mobile Mac user. The iBook g3 being my first laptop to now. no issues.

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
?

How is that different from the absurd pricing on Apple computers? I don't get it, you're on a forum of a company that is notorious for absurd pricing and some gimpy little piece of plastic gets labeled absurd for it's pricing..?
Are you seriously comparing pricing of product that has been designed and worked on by thousands of people on both hardware and software side for at least a year and piece of plastic that could be designed and 3D-printed in one evening?!

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
Personally, I'm really happy with the USB charger from Innergy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0188PAD00/

The cable is meant to be wrapped around the charger and includes a little clip to hold it wrapped, VERY useful. Although it's 45W, it easily keeps the 15" MBP powered throughout the day. Works great and it's very compact, best traveler charger I know of.

I like Apple's clean design but it's simply not meant for charging.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure even the 12W iPad charger (with a USB-A to USB-C cable) will get you through the day, unless you really kick the tires on your macbook. So that's also an option.

Reactions: bunnyhero

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Edit: and I've never had fraying or a broken charger in 20 years as a mobile Mac user. The iBook g3 being my first laptop to now. no issues.

I've owned Apple laptops since the Mac Portable. Countless Mac laptops. Never once had a frayed cable. Not sure how people treat their stuff but I don't see the problem.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Hmmmm... the built-in cable-holders on the old power bricks made sense when the cord was attached.

But now it's a removable USB-C cable.

I agree with others... just wrap the cord with a velcro strap or twist-tie. I actually prefer to have bricks and cords separate. It's easier to tuck them away in your bag's pockets.

Last edited:

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Should work fine, if not perhaps as elegant as Apple's original creation—when they still cared.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Apple includes cord storage and people cry about how it causes their cords to fray. Apple doesn't include cord storage and people cry they don't have the cord storage they complained about previously. There is no winning here.

The win would be including cord storage like Apple always used to do.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Don’t waste your money, these don’t work. You have to wrap it really tight to keep the cable from slipping out of the middle & with a stiff cable, that is hard to do.

loveandhavefun

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2014
Apple used to be known for getting the details right. Now with Cook at the helm they just remove the details for profit. I guess there is a reason it is hard for companies to keep to their brand identity after founders leave. Apple is no exception, it happened with Scully and with Cook. Hopefully, Cook won't last much longer.

The next CEO will mostly likely be Angela who runs the stores and came from Burberry. She made Apple into a fashion and watch company. So we have that to look forward to..

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
The next CEO will mostly likely be Angela who runs the stores and came from Burberry. She made Apple into a fashion and watch company. So we have that to look forward to..

Incredibly unlikely. Tim is doing an amazing job for Apple right now. Unless he chooses to retire (highly unlikely at this point), he's not being replaced any time soon and will continue to run things for quite a while.

Angela has a history of moving around and will likely move on to somewhere else long before she'd be up for top spot at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.