Award-Winning Dystopian Adventure Game 'République' Coming to Mac and PC

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Indie studio Camouflaj today announced its hit episodic stealth game République is being ported to PC and Mac and will be available to download on February 26 via Steam, GOG, and the Humble Store.

The team says the new edition of the game has been "rebuilt from the ground up" to access the power of the Unity 5 gaming engine. They also tout that the Remastered edition is the first commercial game to "fully utilize" the power and functionality of the Unity 5 engine, allowing for a deeper, more vividly realized world with physically based shading, real-time global illumination, and reflection probes.

"Ever since we committed to doing a desktop version of République, we've been haunted by the task for delivering something truly special for PC players," says Ryan Payton, designer at Camouflaj. "When we got a glimpse at the next iteration of Unity we realized that this was the answer -- beyond redesigning the game's controls and UI for desktop, we've completely gutted all the game's art, rebuilding everything using Unity 5's cutting-edge graphical features. The result is something you have to see to believe."
The game follows the story of Hope, a young woman attempting to evade capture from a mysterious, overbearing sect of the government intent on capturing her. Putting the player directly into the game, Hope tasks gamers to hack cameras and survelliance systems to safely guide her through the byzantine levels she finds herself trapped in. The game has garnered much attention since its release on iOS in late 2013, with our sister site Touch Arcade commenting that, after the first episode, the game was "shaping up to be a masterpiece."

The new Remastered edition will come with the first three episodes of the game - "Episode 1: Exordium," "Episode 2: Metamorphosis" and "Episode 3: Ones and Zeroes" - and include a Standard and Deluxe Edition.

The Standard Edition will retail for $24.99 and will include pre-purchase codes for the final two episodes of the story: "Episode 4: God's Acre" and "Episode 5: Terminus." The Deluxe Edition includes all of this plus the complete soundtrack, an hour-long "making of" documentary, and two early prototypes (exclusive to the desktop version) for $34.99. Each will receive a 20 percent discount during the game's initial launch week.

The République Remastered edition has already shown up on Steam and GOG ahead of its February 26 launch date, but isn't yet available for pre-order.

Article Link: Award-Winning Dystopian Adventure Game 'République' Coming to Mac and PC

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
What? No Mac App Store version? Disappointing.
Steam is better. Allows for you to pay once and instantly get access to it on all platforms. So, IE, if you have a mix of Mac and PC, you could play on either.

Looks pretty good/interesting. Just one question:

Are Episodes 4 and 5 not released yet? Or why are we merely getting codes for episodes 4 and 5 rather than just getting that content directly, the way we are episodes 1-3?

Reactions: H2SO4

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Steam is better. Allows for you to pay once and instantly get access to it on all platforms. So, IE, if you have a mix of Mac and PC, you could play on either.
Except I'd rather not play on a PC. And unlike Steam, with the MAS version, I can purchase once and install on multiple Macs (and have multple copies of the game open) in my house without having a DRM client like Steam always open. Also, having one place to go for customer support and managing all my other Apple ID purchases simplifies things for me.

I don't want to start a debate between Steam and MAS. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. This is personal preference so I still find it disappointing to me.

Reactions: ErikGrim

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Except I'd rather not play on a PC. And unlike Steam, with the MAS version, I can purchase once and install on multiple Macs (and have multple copies of the game open) in my house without having a DRM client like Steam always open. Also, having one place to go for customer support and managing all my other Apple ID purchases simplifies things for me.

I don't want to start a debate between Steam and MAS. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. This is personal preference so I still find it disappointing to me.
I can't check it at the moment but have you checked if GOG suits your needs? It doesn't have DRM client as far as I know.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008

Before you even get as far as, ‘Except I'd rather not play on a PC’. You don’t have the choice.
Having the client open adds virtually no overhead, and I’ll check later, (could be wrong), but I’m sure I’ve had multiple copies open at the same time.
Also usually the Mac version of some games is crap. It’s often gimped with disadvantages like no controller straight forward support.
Also non-Steam games added to Steam can be streamed with In-Home Streaming.
Using Steam allows you to make screenshots and chat via the steam chat system (including voice comms if set up) even if the game itself doesn't allow it.
Steam has regular sales which tend to have much better discount than the MAS.
You can remotely install games you buy when you’re out.
You get access to games that are PC only and they are aplenty.
There are more reasons too.

There will be some advantages to the MAS but they are few. Love my Mac, but boot into Windows/Parallels for games. It’s the only real way to do it.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
I can't check it at the moment but have you checked if GOG suits your needs? It doesn't have DRM client as far as I know.
Correct, (taken from their website);
DRM-FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.

MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. 30 days coverage after purchase.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Before you even get as far as, ‘Except I'd rather not play on a PC’. You don’t have the choice.
I'm aware I don't have a choice, which is why I do boot into Windows when I have to play a game like Battlefield Hardline, but when there is choice, I choose OS X.

Having the client open adds virtually no overhead, and I’ll check later, (could be wrong), but I’m sure I’ve had multiple copies open at the same time.
At the very least, Steam is an energy hogger. It's at the top of my list in Activity monitor using more than 6. And right now with nothing going on, with SteamHelper, Steam uses about 4% of my CPU, which isn't much but to be fair I haven't checked while actually playing a Steam game.

Also usually the Mac version of some games is crap. It’s often gimped with disadvantages like no controller straight forward support.
I acknowledge that performance is lower, but I also really don't like using Windows. Also, speaking of unnecessary overhead, Metal was announced on OS X, so it has the potential to be on par with something like Direct X 12, which I'm very excited for. In the future, disparity in performance between the two OSes may not be much of an issue at all.

Also, the vast majority of Feral's games offer straight controller support, and actually you'd be surprised at how many more games on MAS do too. For example, Metal Gear Rising offers support on a number of popular console controllers, including Xbox One. No drivers needed.

Also non-Steam games added to Steam can be streamed with In-Home Streaming.
This is awesome, unfortunately, I only own one Mac so that doesn't really benefit me, but I certainly like the idea.

Using Steam allows you to make screenshots and chat via the steam chat system (including voice comms if set up) even if the game itself doesn't allow it.
All nice, I agree, and I do wish Apple did more with GameCenter and iMessage on that front. But I hate the client UI. It's ugly in my opinion and I kind of gag every time I have to bring up the Steam overlay.

Steam has regular sales which tend to have much better discount than the MAS.
Agreed, but I'm willing to pay a higher price to stay off Windows. Really, I am. The issue here of course is not whether Republique will be on the Mac. It is. But it won't be offered on the MAS, and like I've said before, it's simply a personal preference.

You can remotely install games you buy when you’re out.
With Family Sharing on Yosemite allows anyone in my household to simply download and install on their Macs without needing my Apple ID or password. Easy peasy.

You get access to games that are PC only and they are aplenty.
Agreed they are aplenty. Doesn't change the fact that I have to be on Windows to play them.

There are more reasons too.
But it's still on Windows...

There will be some advantages to the MAS but they are few. Love my Mac, but boot into Windows/Parallels for games. It’s the only real way to do it.
One thing I do hate from the MAS is Apple's stupid rule on it's maximum 4 player multiplayer support. Other than, unless I have no other choice, then no, really i'd rather not play on Steam for Windows (if that is the argument). Playing games on OS X is just as "real" for me, and contrary to what you may think, I actually have and play quite a few Mac games on Steam as well.

Last edited:

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
One thing I do hate from the MAS is Apple's stupid rule on it's maximum 4 player multiplayer support. Other than, unless I have no other choice, then no, really i'd rather not play on Steam for Windows (if that is the argument). Playing games on OS X is just as "real" for me, and contrary to what you may think, I actually have and play quite a few Mac games on Steam as well.
Each to their own. Booting to Windows is a small price to pay for me.
In Windows, the games just work. Wide ranging support for lots of things.
Put it this way, there are plenty of games where in Windows you get controller support but the same version on the Mac is without it, and the Mac port is as poor as hell.
As an example, look up Splinter Cell Conviction, an outdated game but it’s all you get from that franchise on the MAS and it’s priced at £18.99, the same game on Steam is £11.99 and it’s more fully featured. This is all too common an occurence. To make things worse the Mac version is keyboard & mouse only.
Go Windows and you have every release of that game available. I mean damn the latest one, SC Blacklist is cheaper than the outdated SC Conviction release you get on the Mac.

If you have a multi core Mac, you can play less taxing games in Parallels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.