Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BetsyMePoocho

macrumors member
Original poster
Our satellite internet provider does not allow us enough daily bandwidth to update to iOS5. We are only allowed 400Mb download in a 24 hour period and the download speed is about 1Mb/second.

i am planning a trip to a friends house who has high speed internet, unlimited download, and the current version of iTunes. At her house, using her iTunes, can I upgrade my iPad to iOS5?

Thanks!

fuxl

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
VA
Our satellite internet provider does not allow us enough daily bandwidth to update to iOS5. We are only allowed 400Mb download in a 24 hour period and the download speed is about 1Mb/second.

i am planning a trip to a friends house who has high speed internet, unlimited download, and the current version of iTunes. At her house, using her iTunes, can I upgrade my iPad to iOS5?

Thanks!

The update is only like 40Mb if you do it over the air!

BetsyMePoocho

macrumors member
Original poster
OK, back to the original question...

Can I update my iPad to iOS5 at my friends house via her iTunes?

Or does it need to be done through iTunes on my own computer? (which we cannot accomplish due to restrictions from our internet provider).

Thanks.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
OK, back to the original question...

Can I update my iPad to iOS5 at my friends house via her iTunes?

Or does it need to be done through iTunes on my own computer? (which we cannot accomplish due to restrictions from our internet provider).

Thanks.

bring your own computer to your friends house and go on there wifi and download iOS 5 via iTunes?

BetsyMePoocho

macrumors member
Original poster
I am actually 1000 miles from friend's house so I will not be taking my computer there, just the iPad when I visit.

What will be 'everything erased' if I try to update the iPad to iOS5 through friend's computer?

Thank you for your help.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
You can update via her computer. If she has iTunes already installed just be sure to sign her out of the store and sign yourself in. Also be sure to backup your iPad before updating. Then you can update.

She may need to do some cleanup afterward to remove your backups etc from her computer but you can do a search and locate the backups and delete them.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
you can also pause and resume downloads. I haven't tried this over a 24 hour period so I'm not sure if there is a session limit.

If not you can do t xxxMB in the first 24 hours. Pause it in iTunes and finish the rest later.

BetsyMePoocho

macrumors member
Original poster
Thank you very much donnaw and OneMike That was very helpful information!

Would you happen to know how many Mb the iSO5 update actually is?

We are reckoning that by pausing the download, and disconnecting from the iTune computer, we should still be able to use the iPad as we have not installed anything as of yet, right?

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
This is what I did for my Aunt.
I downloaded iTunes and the *.ipsw file for her ipad2
then took the data on a USB drive and loaded it on her computer and installed
No issues. Make sure the USB drive is formatted in FAT 32 so all computers can read the files.

why didnt i think of this before.. when your at your friends house download the iOS 5 firmware that you need and transfer it to a usb drive and when you get home transfer it from the usb drive to computer and install :)

https://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/10/apple-releases-ios-5-0-1-to-address-battery-life-issues/

download one of the direct links in this thread. you can go from iOS 4 to 5.0.1

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
you can also pause and resume downloads. I haven't tried this over a 24 hour period so I'm not sure if there is a session limit.

If not you can do t xxxMB in the first 24 hours. Pause it in iTunes and finish the rest later.

Yeah, or find a torrent for the firmware package and use that. You can definitely pause and resume torrents.

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.