iPhone Away From iOS For Years. Two Questions:

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by bmstrong, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502

I was an iPhone generation 1-4 user then switched to Android. At this point, I'm still using my original ATT unlimited data plan from the first iPhone. I've always loved the platform and hardware and I'm very tempted with the 6/6+. I need two specific tasks, everything else can function cross platform without any problems.

I use tubemate to download Youtube video's, in background, on Android. Are we still not allowing this iOS8?

I also torrent, in background, with an old APK of aDownloader. I already know the answer but I'm going to ask anyway. :)

Thoughts?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I use McTube to dl YouTube videos.

As for torrents, there are some questionable work arounds through DropBox apparently.

3. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. Many thanks.

4. SeenJeen macrumors regular

There's a workaround for torrenting on iOS:
    http://emu4ios.net

But personally, I'd rather use uTorrent remote to initialize transfers on my Mac/PC.

5. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. Since I don't actually have a home computer I tend to do everything on my Mobile. Currently it's a Nexus 5 running Android L, and I'm not horribly impressed after running it for an entire summer. Plus I miss the Apple Hardware Smell...

This news story was a promising start:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/news/youtube-to-add-offline-mode-in-india-says-google-592094

but for now I need a reliable third party application.

6. rdstoll macrumors 6502

Can I hijack?

I'm in the same boat. Jumped ship from iPhone to Android back in 2011. Ordered the iPhone 6 but have a couple of questions:

1) is there a way to "quick launch" apps from the lock screen? I saw an app "Launcher" that supposedly will allow you to do this from the notification bar when ios8 is officially released but just wondered if there was something for the lock screen.

2) is it easy to manage Google calendars? Meaning, can I easily set up new appointments, invite people, etc? I remember having to go through a bunch of gymnastics with settings between Google and iOS a few years ago that made it cumbersome. How about managing Google contacts?

3) I know there's still no widgets (unfortunately) but can you get your calendar appointments to show up in the notification panel or some other simple "quick swipe" way?

Thanks!

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

1) Yes, in that you can drop the notification center down from the lock screen to enable "Launcher".

2) I can't help you there

3) There are now widgets, but widgets are only allowed within the notification center, the same as 'launcher.' That being said, calendar events can be shown within the drop down notification center.

8. zachkolk macrumors regular

zachkolk

1) & 3) have already been sufficiently answered by another member.

2) Yes, it is easy. Your Google calendar and contacts are integrated into the Calendar and Contacts app the exact same way iCloud calendar items and contacts are. In settings you can select your Google account to be the default calendar and place to store contacts. In the calendar app, while creating an event or after tapping "edit" there is an "invitations" section where you can invite other people to your events.

9. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm, torrenting seems to be a dead end on iOS. Not too surprised, nor has much changed. I see no Popcorn Time on the app store as well...

10. Shuri macrumors 6502

Well Apple being a Content Provider is obviously not that much into piracy.. ;)

11. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502

:)