Away Message Capability in iOS 9?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Scott Baret, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Scott Baret macrumors newbie

Prior to the iOS 9 announcement, I heard a rumor of away message capability in iOS 9. Remember how these were possible with the old AIM software, released in the late 1990s? This is something I'd love to see integrated into iOS 9 for many reasons, especially during those times when I cannot actually text someone back (namely during work or while driving).

I haven't heard anything one way or another about away messages, so I'm hoping someone who has the beta can shed some light on this. If there is no Apple solution, is it now permissible for third party developers to create such a program? I know it currently cannot be done on an iPhone with an unaltered copy of iOS 8 (or earlier) and feel this is a feature which should exist, if for anything, to let others know not to bother iPhone users while driving.

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

So far as I know this has been around from 3rd party for several years. AT&T offers an app (at&t drivemode) that will auto-reply when you're driving to let people know you don't text and drive. The feature is not in iOS 9 beta.