Aweful battery drain

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KimLA, Aug 23, 2013.

1. KimLA macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I bought my iPad 3 (wifi only) last year and only unboxed it 6 months ago, so one can say it's a brand new device. I use it maybe 30 minutes to 1h per day to browse the web with safari, and answer emails. I don't have many apps installed (facebook, imdb, skydrive, dropbox, shazam, notability, iphoto, wikipanion, adobe reader, ibooks and that's it) and when I'm not using my iPad, I always set it to airplane mode. Bluetooth is always deactivated.

And still. I charged it this afternoon and my battery reached 80% at 2pm. I unplugged it, and left it on airplane mode. At 10pm it was 100% discharged...

How come? Is there a way to solve this problem? This is really frustrating, the device is like brand new and the battery did drain fast several times.
    Thanks.
    Kimberly

2. nilzi macrumors regular

The battery is broken, just replace a new one.
    Every time you need to charge the battery reach 100% , or it will do harm to the battery.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. You can plug/unplug at any time, regardless of the battery charge level, without harming the battery.
    Check out this link for battery saving tips: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

If none of that helps, take your iPad to Apple and let them test to see if there is a hardware problem.

4. KimLA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies, I'm now using the airplane mode when I don't need to access the internet, use the sleep/wake button instead of letting my ipad cover put the device in sleep mode and did a general settings reset. Maybe only one of these things (like the general settings reset) solved my problem. Now my battery can last several days.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

With an hours use a day you should see 4-5 days out of it. You shouldn't have to be using airplane mode.

Do a fresh install of iOS and see if it improves. If it dosnt you should goto apple

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Lithium ion loves to be at 4.0 volts, about 80%. Pushed to 4.2v or left near empty for long periods, causes premature wear. Don't leave devices (including laptops) plugged in for long periods and don't store them full.

The normal use pattern of an I device takes it down from 100% on an almost daily basis. If apple ships at 100% (I don't recall), and it's left there for months at a time, this would shorten the cells life span. Though even worst case, it shouldn't be this dead this soon.

7. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

BS. Lithium ion batteries don't have to be charged to 100% every time.

But you are correct that the battery could be broken. Leaving it sitting for weeks between buying and turning on could perhaps do that.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Leaving it sitting for weeks or even months at a time without turning it on will not damage a battery in any way.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Actually yes it will. Even powered off there is a trickle drain that does occur. Same with any rechargeable battery. Just like you can leave a car in storage for months and the battery dies and won't take a jump, you can kill the battery in a phone etc if it sits long enough

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It would have to remain fully drained for a very long time for that to happen. For the vast majority of users, letting it sit idle for several weeks or even a month or two will not harm the battery.