Awesome app to control your Mac over WiFi; MUCH better than 'iPhone Remote'

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by BoxNut, Nov 18, 2007.

1. BoxNut macrumors newbie

While trying to get iPhone Remote to work properly, I stumbled on this little gem: http://www.iospirit.com/index.php?m...ode=infogroup-23&sid=4677183G6dbf33f77cced182

It is shareware (30 day trial), but much more polished and stable than iPhone Remote.
    One of my favorite things about this app is that when controlling iTunes, you can:
    - see album artwork
    - see track name/artist, etc.
    - set ratings
    - change speakers (AirTunes)
    - browse playlists

Enjoy!

2. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

Key word (30 day trial) :) Thats the only reason i prefer iphone remote.

3. bdsmyth macrumors regular

Does it

Not sure about this one, one of the reasons I liked the iPhone Remote was that it actualled streams movies from your Mac to the Touch. That's a neat option that I dont think this package has.

4. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I agree with the first post. This is much better than iPhone Remote. This one has been worked on for a lot longer and it shows.

5. BoxNut thread starter macrumors newbie

1. yes it does cost money ($20, i think) but that's a small price to pay, if you ask me. This app is very stable and very nice-looking; and besides, everything else for the iPod Touch has been free (except the iPod itself, lol)
    2. no, i don't think it does stream, but personally, that doesn't bother me at all.

6. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

I find iphone remote way better than remote buddy. It is definitely not as confusing to set up. When i first launched remote buddy, i had no idea that you have to go in and set up AJAX remote and all this other crap. With iphone remote, you just launch the program, type in the address and boom. Ive also never had iphone remote crash on me, my first go around with remote buddy it crashed. But its all good.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Another vote for iPhone Remote. Setup was just a double click and it's free! Also, I like being able to stream movies from my Mac to my TV without having to copy the movie directly on the iPod itself.

8. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I've been asking this question over and over, so you can stream and watch your movies with the t.v. out cable on your ipod/iphone.
    That would be kick ass!

9. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, combine iPhone Remote with Apple's Universal Dock and Apple's AV Composite cable and you can stream content from your computer to your TV. Piece of cake. I do it all the time. It's just like having an AppleTV.

10. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Woohoo! can't wait to get my composite cables. I started a thread about this over a month ago and didnt get any replies. :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367482

11. BoxNut thread starter macrumors newbie

ok ok, so i suppose it depends on what you're intending to use this for. i don't watch video on my iPod at all, all i use this app for mainly is for the itunes remote functions.
    ...to each his own...

12. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I've got both of them running at the moment- both have their good points, but neither feel 'finished' to me- maybe combining the two would be good!

There is another similar thing here (Signal):
    http://www.apple.com/webapps/entertainment/signal.html

And another similar app thread running here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=389813
    That looks promising but I (nor either of the people on that thread) have Leopard to try it out on! Anyone have a look for us?